Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Do I need it?

3 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

I felt I was all alone in the FS world because I feel exactly the same. So its nice to see someone else who also isn't a fan of the photo-scenery 😁

You are not alone.  I dislike photoscenery because of its well-documented limitations.

It seems that with MSFS, they have implemented an AI system which (mostly) eliminates those limitations.  There may still be some limits as to altering colors for time-of-year, but I expect those to be (mostly) done away with over the next year or two.  Only you Noel, want to fly in summer all the time -- it may be right up your alley on release day.

• Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Sure as hell I need it. Except for full flight sims I haven't used a sim in years.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, birdguy said:

I really should not have started this thread.  Nobody who has replied has actually seen it.  Just the commercials for it.  Like the automobile commercials we see on television that say, "Dump your present carrier and come to us because we are better."  What happened to customer loyalty? 

I started collecting Orbx scenery with FSX in March of 2013.  I carried them with me through FSX and the P3Ds and own every scenery they made for the FSX /P3D platform.  That includes no less than 151 detailed airports.  The last one, San Jose, was just released and I purchased yesterday afternoon.  There are more to come.

One of the blurbs on MSFS2020 I read yesterday said the deluxe edition (there are three editions) for 129.00 will contain 40 detailed airports.  I imagine that list of airports will grow but how long will it take to equal the 151 I already have with Orbx?

So I really don't care what the platform is as long as I can carry over my 3,000 dollar plus investment in Orbx scenery over to it.  AND my Lionheart Quest Kodiak which is my goto aircraft I fly 95% of the time...low and slow.

Now a word on why I abhor photoreal scenery.

When I was boy about 7 or 8  or maybe even 9 years old I wanted an electric train for Christmas.  Lionel and American Flyer were busy producing electric motors for the war effort.  It was the middle of World War 2 and luxuries like electric trains would have t wait until the war was over.

So Mom and Dad got me a Lionel cutout book.  I cut out and folded along the lines a locomotive and about three cars.  In that book was a fold out layout.  Printed track and a printed station and some printed houses.  I would pull that paper locomotive and the three cars around the track loop and pretend it was real.

Later in life I built model railroad layouts.  I had one I was working on until just a few years ago when my hand shakes got to the point I couldn't model detail anymore.

But flying low over printed houses and buildings is not for me.  And I think there might be a lot of that in MSFS2020 because I cannot see them producing the whole world in 3D.  I might be wrong, but I guess on the 18th of this month we'll see.

Please keep me posted.  I'm anxious to see if the real thing lives up to the hype and it's not a Potemkin village.

Noel

I've seen it and flew it this morning. All I can say really . I've been out of flight simming for awhile so I don't have all of the legacy investment concerns other than the default P3D. In your case just sit back and see how it goes. Personally , I cant wait until the 18th after the long hiatus for MSFS

Semper Fi 

We're talking about pretending to fly airplanes. Of course you don't need it. 😉

As to p3d being the FS of this century, it's still largely FSX under the hood. That's why I don't define it as such, personally, despite it having considerable refinements over FSX, but others may disagree.

On 8/2/2020 at 11:39 AM, birdguy said:

Now a word on why I abhor photoreal scenery.

But flying low over printed houses and buildings is not for me.  And I think there might be a lot of that in MSFS2020 because I cannot see them producing the whole world in 3D.  I might be wrong, but I guess on the 18th of this month we'll see.

For perhaps the 864th time: this is NOT photoreal scenery of the old 2D variety, and there are no "printed buildings"! If the multiple videos posted by a wide variety of folks from many countries does not make this clear in spectacular fashion, I don't know what would.