Sign in to follow this  
antonvs

Using a spare joystick for Drone camera?

As some are using an x-box controller for the drone camera (showcase), it occurred to me that in addition to using a H.O.T.A.S. I might be able to plug in an old Logitech Pro 3D joystick to use for the drone camera. I will experiment with this but thought I would ask if anyone has done this already.

In the meantime I will have a go and report back. 

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

Good new is that this works, so now instead of this old controller sitting in a back cupboard it is now my Drone controller. 

• All you have to do is plug it in, start a flight, press pause, go to controls.
  • The stick is there in the list of controllers. You first have to goto profile manage and click on creat new profile (if you use the default it will duplicate all your control surfaces).
  • I named the new profile X3D Drone stick
  • One by one I selected the control mapping
  • I set one button to switch from cockpit to drone view

I will come back here and post screen shots of the finished setup

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Anton von Sierakowski (YBDG) Rig: ASUS Gryphon Z87 TUF Micro-ATX; i7 4770K 4.3GHz 16Gb RAM, RTX2060 6Gb, 1Tb SSD boot, 2Tb SSD MFS2020, 250Gb SSD Spare. 4Gb HDD. Saitek X55/rudders. GA and light Jet flyer.

Nice ... that answers my earlier question. Very interested to hear more. Can't experiment myself yet since I haven't got MFS yet, waiting for new HW.

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

Could be an idea to post your findings in the 'Tips and Tricks' section at the top, makes it easier to find it back later.

Always have fun --0-- Flight Sim Navigation

Folks, you really don't need an additional device.
Just map your joystick's axis and buttons for the different cameras.
Same button or axis can be used differently depending on the chosen camera.

Best regards,
David Roch

AMD Ryzen 5950X //  Asus ROG CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME //  32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 4000 MHz CL17 //  ASUS ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 24GB OC Edition //  2x SSD 1Tb Corsair MP600 PCI-E4 NVM //  Corsair 1600W PSU & Samsung Odyssey Arc 55" curved monitor
Thrustmaster Controllers: TCA Yoke Pack Boeing Edition + TCA Captain Pack Airbus Edition + Pendular Rudder.

I found that if I tried to do that, even though it was a different camera I got a message that the control was already mapped to a different setting. But maybe you can just ignore the warning

Yeah, you can ignore those warnings and map multiple items to any button. Be careful though, it's easy to make a mess of this and have multiple things going on at once, like the gear lowering every time I disconnect the autopilot...

What about the mouse? Can you use the mouse to look around in Drone mode? And then use the WASD keys to move in that direction? That seems so much more intuitive to me. I get that they had to map this for the X-box, but what about the age old tradition of WASD and mouse look on PCs? We need that option too.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub