Sign in to follow this  
planenut

Add-on Selection in Menu Bar

Got a really strange one. Sometimes when I load up FSX, the "Add-on" selection in the main menu bar is not there. Everytime this happens I also have the "differential brakes" indicator on on the bottom left corner even though there are no brakes applied. Thing is, just closing FS and re-starting it does not cure it. I have to reboot the puter to get it back.Has anybody else experienced this?Another weired thing that has been happening only since I installed FSX is that often I cannot get pages to load when accessing the internet. I get a message which says "cannot find server", although I connect ok. I know that this sounds too bazaar to be connected to FSX, it's just that is happpens post FSX installation. Again, I have to reboot the puter to be able to connect to the internet.Anybody have a clue as to what is going on here?Jim

Guest Gordius

Weird. I get that timeout on some web pages too. I also get a drop in framerates when posting but that happened in FS9 too.Andrew Brown192029.png

I get the very same issue practically everytime I make a change, add a new aircraft, scenery or any major modification. Sometimes running the CD to do repair fixes the problem but far from the solution. It is like everytime you make a change in FSX you hold your breath to see what it breaks.I often lose trackir or my simconnect abilities and it is a nightmare to solve it. One does not fly FSX, one spends most of their time trouble shooting especially with simconnect setups. Granted I am an extreme simmer and a home cockpit builder but I am about to put it on the shelf for good. Joe

Joe Porter

ngxu_banner.png

Banner_FS2Crew_Beta_Tester.jpg

Whenever you make a change that affects the scenery.cfg file (add something new to the Scenery Library, move stuff around the Scenery Library, etc), FSX will "corrupt" the scenery.cfg file. You need to download a small utility called "fsscenery.zip". When unzipped, it will contain a stand-alone application called "FSTscenery.exe". Place this in your Documents and Settings folder where your scenery.cfg file is located (...All UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSX in WinXP), then make a shortcut to it on your desktop. Run it EVERY time you make ANY changes using the Scenery Library. It will "un-corrupt" your scenery.cfg file and keep it organized.FalconAF

Rick Ryan

>Falcon, where can I find this?Steve Greenwood is the author. It was originally made for FS9, but works fine with FSX. Link to his download website is below. Select the "Utility to sort and renumber scenery.cfg layers" line from the 4 downloads shown to download it. Read the readme file and it will explain everything. I just placed the FSTscenery.exe file in my C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataMicrosoftFSX folder (that's where the scenery.cfg file FSX uses is located in WinXP) and made a shortcut to it on my desktop with a shortcut to the scenery.cfg file next to it. Makes running the application, then looking at your scenery.cfg file after (to make sure everything was fixed in it) very easy.http://home.earthlink.net/~smgreenwood/resources-g.shtmlTo see how FSX "corrupts" your scenery.cfg file, just "Move Up" or "Move Down" an entry in your Scenery Library in FSX, then hit the OK button and let FSX "rebuild" your scenery. Then go look at your scenery.cfg file. Scroll to the bottom of it, and some of the entries will be out of sequence with layer numbers that don't match anymore, etc. The FSTscenery.exe program fixes those things when you use it after making changes to your Scenery Library.FalconAF

Rick Ryan