Sign in to follow this  
raptor1

Need performance advice for FS2020

I need some advice on how to optimize my system performance.

CPU Intel i5 4460 3.2 mhz Haswell technology

RAM 16gb single channel ddr3 798mhz

Graphics card 4095mb Nvidia Gforce GTX 1080

Thanks

5 minutes ago, raptor1 said:

I need some advice on how to optimize my system performance.

CPU Intel i5 4460 3.2 mhz Haswell technology

RAM 16gb single channel ddr3 798mhz

Graphics card 4095mb Nvidia Gforce GTX 1080

Thanks

There is dedicated thread about this already, try turning down render scaling to 80-90 might help a bit. Try High settings, you can try locking FPS to 60 and Vsynch both on/off (try either/or), and in Nvidia Inspector or control panel try locking frames to 30 fps, but leave it at 60 in MSFS.

I would also turn some things down, like water to med or high, trees down a notch, buildings to high, etc... Though that is all personal preference really.

I thought 8 GB was the minimum on the 1080, don't think there are 4 GB ones?

Anyhow, your CPU is more than likely the bottleneck, you could possibly upgrade your CPU from a used CPU on Ebay pretty cheaply depending on your motherboard...

Also, I would only use this game with an SSD drive probably, though I haven't tested the difference.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Thanks,

The GTX 1080 that I have has 8138MB of dedicated video memory I just discovered. I hope that's the correct amount.

I find for my i5, CPU is the bottleneck, and LOD sliders kill the CPU.  I've set the settings to ultra and it's a mess until I dial my LOD sliders (Terrain Level of Detail and Object Level of Detail) back down to around 25.  That's about all my i5 7400 can handle.  

The LOD sliders basically define how far out from your aircraft all the graphical goodness is rendered and that takes a huge amount of CPU. 

Now what that means is you don't get to see all that beautiful goodness until you are relatively close to it, but that's kind of where it matters.

At distance and altitude, objects tend to lose their sharpness, so why waste CPU and GPU rendering it?  I'm not playing on a huge 4k display so for me it's a fair trade off.   

Not a bad idea, even with those maxed at 200 in game, MSFS still causes blurry scenery from anything over about 3000 AGL. So you might not be missing all that much by turning those down.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

25 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

Not a bad idea, even with those maxed at 200 in game, MSFS still causes blurry scenery from anything over about 3000 AGL. So you might not be missing all that much by turning those down.

My system is admittedly at the low side of acceptable.  But I have found that LOD for me has the most profound effect.  I can actually fly with Ultra on everything, scaling set to 80 and LOD dialed down to 25 for OLOD and TLOD.  The performance is "acceptable" for the old Flight Sim days where anything between 12 FPS and 20 was considered "good".  24 and above was considered "supurb" because flim went at 24fps, so if you could get film like quality, you were smoking. 

Although it does start getting pretty choppy at lower altitude.

Since this product blows FSX out of the water regarding visuals.  I actually dial down to Medium across the board.  Add High or Ultra for my clouds dial down TLOD and OLOD to 25 (low end default)  and still have pretty good frames on almost any approach.  There is a marked improvement on how trees and buildings look between low and medium, but I don't notice that huge a difference beyond medium, to be honest, so I keep it there.