Sign in to follow this  
FlightSimmer Pete

Scenario: Showing MSFS 2020 at its best.

If you wanted to impress a friend by showing them a VFR flight in MSFS 2020, where would you fly?

I would suggest flying over and around New York City showcases the sim very nicely.

Edited by FlightSimmer Pete

Personally, I think the best way to impress them is to fly them in an area that they (and ideally you), know well.  They will be impressed that the schools, stores, houses, etc. that they know are there.  It has a more personal impact that way.

Matt

• Like 4

Do the same as Microsoft... Depart from Renton and head north..

Or do the same as I do, avoid the big cities, depart from Redding, CA and fly west to O54, at 5000 feet to clear the hills, but then descend and land at O54.

Edited by Bert Pieke
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bert

Easy. Roll a Beech Bonanza down the eleven degree sloped Runway 24 at VNLK Tenzing-Hillary Airport (Lukla), aka the Mount Everest Base Camp.

As you lift off and have to keep the nose down to gain flying speed, take them over the tree-covered hills on the opposite side of the valley with your audio warning you about your proximity to the terrain as you struggle to get the thing flying well enough to risk a turn to avoid the mountain in front of you whilst you are at 9,400 feet above sea level having just lifted off. Off to the right if they have a look, they'll see Mount Everest.

Then show them a real photograph of it all and watch in amazement as they recognize it as where they just were. Then tell them if they did the lessons in the sim, they could fly an aeroplane well enough to do it too.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 5

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

4 minutes ago, Chock said:

Easy. Roll a Beech Bonanza down the eleven degree sloped Runway 24 at VNLK Tenzing-Hillary Airport (Lukla), aka the Mount Everest Base Camp.

As you lift off and have to keep the nose down to gain flying speed, take them over the tree-covered hills on the opposite side of the valley with your audio warning you about your proximity to the terrain as you struggle to get the thing flying well enough to risk a turn to avoid the mountain in front of you whilst you are at 9,400 feet above sea level having just lifted off. Off to the right if they have a look, they'll see Mount Everest.

Then show them a real photograph of it all and watch in amazement as they recognize it as where they just were.

Nice!!!

That AP is on my fly to next list!!!

Glad to hear they gave it some special love and detail!!!

Chris Camp

Flying over their own house is pretty cool.  

I was talking to my girlfriend over the phone and describing stores I've never been to around her home in CT.  

As I was buzzing the stores I said....There's a Home Depot....And a Wal-Mart....and something between them...

She exclaimed....It's a SHOP RITE!!!!  That was pretty cool

• Like 1

I'd also add a trip to:

Gustaf III Airport, ICAO: TFFJ, also known as Saint Barthélemy Airport.

Nice challenging landing coming down over the small valley between the two hills and if you don't brake in time you will roll right off the runway and into the ocean on the other side!

Super impressed by the attention to detail there and the default AP is better than the current one sold by Fly Tampa for P3D!

Chris Camp

3 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

Nice!!!

That AP is on my fly to next list!!!

Glad to hear they gave it some special love and detail!!!

It's stunning.  I had a Payware Lukla pack for either FSX or COF and this blows it away.  Simply having sloped runways is amazing.

I landed my 172, there and then couldn't make it to the top of the hill.  I was full throttle half way up the hill.  I'm pretty sure the goats nearby were bemused.  

Just now, wthomas33065 said:

It's stunning.  I had a Payware Lukla pack for either FSX or COF and this blows it away.  Simply having sloped runways is amazing.

I landed my 172, there and then couldn't make it to the top of the hill.  I was full throttle half way up the hill.  I'm pretty sure the goats nearby were bemused.  

LOL!!!

Now I just hope Aerosoft gets their twin otter out soon!

Chris Camp

12 minutes ago, Chock said:

Then show them a real photograph of it all and watch in amazement as they recognize it as where they just were. Then tell them if they did the lessons in the sim, they could fly an aeroplane well enough to do it too.

Then they steal a plane and try it in real life and kill everyone onboard, because they realize that MSFS did not have perfect physics for ground turbulence and especially around places like Mt Everest with some of the most extreme and sudden elevation changes in the world.

Another scenario, they take off in one of the MSFS jets at almost 90 degrees and have no problem climbing straight over Mt Everest, but in real life they try it and immediately slam into the side of the mountain due to inaccurate engine modeling in MSFS.

YMMV

Edited by SceneryFX
  • Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

1 minute ago, Kilo60 said:

I'd also add a trip to:

Nice challenging landing coming down over the small valley between the two hills and if you don't brake in time you will roll right off the runway and into the ocean on the other side!

Super impressed by the attention to detail there and the default AP is better than the current one sold by Fly Tampa for P3D!

That approach is heart stopping.  I actually have a harder time on that down hill approach than landing in Lukla.  If you're a little long on Lukla, the hill tends to help slow you down.  At TFFJ, if you're long, you're wet.  But you can always go around at TFFJ.  Not so much an option at Lukla.  

5 minutes ago, Kilo60 said:

I'd also add a trip to:

I agree, and Princess Juliana International Airport (IATA: SXM, ICAO: TNCM) is the main airport on the Caribbean island of Saint Martin/Sint Maarten is old favorite of mine. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kilo60 said:

LOL!!!

Now I just hope Aerosoft gets their twin otter out soon!

Grand Caravan works well for now.  But yeah.  Twin Otter is the plane for that run.  VNPL is pretty difficult as well.  Short runway, and if you're long, you're going down the hill.  

4 minutes ago, SceneryFX said:

Then they steal a plane and try it in real life and kill everyone onboard, because they realize that MSFS did not have perfect physics for ground turbulence and around places like Mt Everest. Another scenario, they take off in one of the jets at almost 90 degrees and have no problem climbing straight over Mt Everest, but in real life they try it and immediately slam into the side of the mountain due to inaccurate engine modeling in MSFS.

YMMV

Yeah....Because it's just so easy to pop over to Kathmandu, hotwire a plane and roar up to Lukla.  smh....(grin)

Just now, wthomas33065 said:

Yeah....Because it's just so easy to pop over to Kathmandu, hotwire a plane and roar up to Lukla.  smh....(grin)

One bad prescription away my friend, that's all it is...

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram