Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Strange problem with Track IR 5

It started when I removed EZdok 3 and instead used //42 ChasePlane. Track IR was not functional anymore. First time it worked after verify files in the steam client which updated a lot of files. But then the problem occurred again. Occasionally track ir can work after starting FSXSE. It seem to be a random process. Last time when I tried to start FSXSE there was a lot of messages about something being installed (even mentioning about first time installation ??). Earlier when this happened track ir was functional once but not this time. I have tried reinstalling simconnect but this does not solve the problem. What can be going on here. It seem track ir does not work most of the time with random exceptions.

I'd recommend uninstalling the TrackIR software, rebooting your PC and then reinstalling it. That, because FSX supports different versions of Simconnect and I'd be worried that the version TrackIR requires was inadvertently uninstalled.

11 hours ago, Kronovan said:

I'd recommend uninstalling the TrackIR software, rebooting your PC and then reinstalling it. That, because FSX supports different versions of Simconnect and I'd be worried that the version TrackIR requires was inadvertently uninstalled.

Different from what ? And is not simconnect something that gets installed with FSX (P3D) and the Track Ir software has nothing to about simconnect installation ?

Simconnect does indeed get installed by FSX, but FSX is designed to simultaneously host multiple versions of it. I posted a question about that in the Simconnect forum and ddwason confirmed that FSX is designed to support multiple versions - unfortunately I can't successfully link my post for some reason, but you'd find it if you browsed to the 2nd page of that forum. Since TrackIR uses simmconect to connect to FSX, it not working after an uninstall of another FSX addon could be due to the correct version no longer being installed. While the intermittency could be due to TrackIR initially connecting on an incorrect version.

That's no doubt a bit of a shot in the dark and no guarantees it'll resolve the issue. Reinstalling TrackIR isn't that difficult though and if it needs a different version of simconnect its installation procedure should install the correct one. If you do reinstall, be sure to back up any TrackIR profiles you've created.

Edited by Kronovan

16 hours ago, Kronovan said:

I have followed this recommendation and now there is a problem in both FSXSE and P3D (but not XP11). The display flickers or jumps all the time. I am sure I have seen this before but I can't remember what the solution was.

EDIT after computer restart this problem was gone but the issue with Track Ir not working in FSXSE was back

Edited by jfri

It doesn't sound like the problem is necessarily software related. Does your TrackIR calllibrate and track properly with the TrackIR 5 config applet?

[Edit] As well, I'm sure you're aware of this (best not for me to assume anything though) but the TrackIR software needs to be started after FSX is loaded, due to it needing to make the simconect conection with a fully loaded client. The times when I forget that TrackIR is already running  before I start FSX, TrackIR usually doesn't connect,  but sometimes I get unexpected results due to an unstable connection.

Edited by Kronovan

1 hour ago, Kronovan said:

It doesn't sound like the problem is necessarily software related. Does your TrackIR calllibrate and track properly with the TrackIR 5 config applet?

[Edit] As well, I'm sure you're aware of this (best not for me to assume anything though) but the TrackIR software needs to be started after FSX is loaded, due to it needing to make the simconect conection with a fully loaded client. The times when I forget that TrackIR is already running  before I start FSX, TrackIR usually doesn't connect,  but sometimes I get unexpected results due to an unstable connection.

Everything works as intended within the Track Ir app.

I have always started TrackIr first and it has worked before so I can't see that being the cause of the current issue

5 minutes ago, jfri said:

Everything works as intended within the Track Ir app.

I have always started TrackIr first and it has worked before so I can't see that being the cause of the current issue

Yep, after posting I saw you mentioned that it's working correctly with X-Plane 11.

I've almost always had inconsistent results if TrackIR is started 1st and have read of others having similar experiences. I'd recommend trying it in that start order at least once, just to be sure you aren't now encountering issues that I and others have.

Have you tried starting TrackIR as an administrator?  It can't hurt to start FSX as an administrator as well.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

I have had TrackIR, mine is a 3-Pro version, fail to start before.  I do not know if the later versions are different, but with mine, it needs to be the very last USB device that is plugged into the computer.  So maybe unplug it, then plug it back in and see if that helps.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

On 9/1/2020 at 1:17 AM, Kronovan said:

Yep, after posting I saw you mentioned that it's working correctly with X-Plane 11.

I've almost always had inconsistent results if TrackIR is started 1st and have read of others having similar experiences. I'd recommend trying it in that start order at least once, just to be sure you aren't now encountering issues that I and others have.

Well it indeed seem that this works at least it has for the few times I have started FSXSE

• Like 1