Sign in to follow this  
michal

Visibility bug still apparent.

Well, I can see the visibility bug is still apparent in FSX. Mt. Rainer is still blocked out on a clear day. In the real-world with a visibility of 20 miles, you should still be able to see it from BFI.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Yeah, I can't see it. In the real-world, Mt. Rainer is visible on a clear day in Seattle, even with a visibility of 20 miles. I don't know why, but they won't fix the visibility. It should be clearly visible like in the real-world.

Yeah, I've got most of my settings all the way up. Where is the display 'distant terrain' slider, or is it a setting I need to put in the .cfg file?

Oh, that's all the way to the right. I don't think this has to do with settings. It's just not visible with the lower visibility when in fact, it should be. It was the same way with FS9. From 50 miles away, you can see it in the real-world on a clear day, and that's with lower visibility. I just think they didn't change anything with the visibility to reflect how real haze acts.

Please explain. Where is this visibility setting ? I just went to custom settings and didn't see anything about visibility except in wx and that's set at 70. Thanks, Dan

According to Rand McNally, Mt Rainier is about 50 statute miles from KBFI so I wouldn't expect to see it with 20 Nm visibility. Now ATIS, ASOS, and other weather reporting systems seldom report visability accuratly unless it is quite limited. Otherwise they say something like "greater than 10 miles" here in South Texas and I believe they say "greater than 20 miles" in some locations. That can lead to some confusion. R-

Here's the thing... The mountain should be able to be seen on a clear day where ever you are around Seattle. I've even got photos of it when I was there, and the visibility was reported to be around 15 miles. There's something seriously wrong here.

I agree, wouldn't think 20 mile visability is the same as a clear day.Regards, MichaelKDFW

Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe nForce4 SLI-x16 / AMD

>Here's the thing... The mountain should be able to be seen on>a clear day where ever you are around Seattle. I've even got>photos of it when I was there, and the visibility was reported>to be around 15 miles. There's something seriously wrong>here.There is something seriously wrong with your logic. How far is from downtown Seattle to the mountain: 30-40 miles. How then can it be visible with visibility 15-20 miles? The answer: it can't, lets not kid ourselves.Michael J.

>There is something seriously wrong with your logic. How far is>from downtown Seattle to the mountain: 30-40 miles. How then>can it be visible with visibility 15-20 miles? The answer: it>can't, lets not kid ourselves.Have you ever been to Seattle? If you don't believe me, I've got plenty of pictures to prove it. Actually, I've got quite a lot of pictures taken from Tacoma which is the same distance from Mt. Rainier as downtown Seattle.

Now thats what I call using the full length of the runway.Great shot GeoffRoger - EGPF

Unless I'm totally wrong - visibility is reported as lateral distance at airport ground level. The element missing from your statement of visibility is the ceiling or top of the reduced visibility layer.I haven't spent much time in Seattle, but have spent a lot of time in Japan.I've seen many a day on the golf course at Atsugi when the airport was IFR due to visibility less than 1 nm, where I could see the top of Mount Fuji rising out of the haze / fog layer.Is that the effect you are looking for?A lowered visibility layer close to the ground and the top of the mountain extending in the clear air above?Now I would not call it a bug because FS does not do that - more a limitation of trying to convert a 3D concept into a 2D image.If you set visibility to 20NM, the program is simply not going to try and draw something over 20nm away.Implementing reduced visibility is one of the hardest things FS tries to do - and does a very good job. But it is far from realistic - it is simply "As real as it gets" meaning - the program / computer cannot produce anything more realistic.

>I've>got plenty of pictures to prove it.To prove exactly what ??Yes, such pictures would only prove that in a given moment visibility must have been 30+ miles. *:-* Michael J.