Sign in to follow this  
DesLynam

A Strange GSync issue.

Hello All,

My first post and afraid it will be lengthy.  Perhaps I am the only person experiencing this weirdness so apologies if this helps nobody but I hope it can, also hopefully a bright spark will suggest a fix if one even exists.

My setup:

LG Oled with Variable refresh rate baked in. Game mode enabled etc (GSync is fine on all games bar MSFS)

9900k, 2080ti, 32gb, all ssd storage.

Microsoft Store version of the game - Game content (the 96gb bit) is not installed in the default location the installer suggests, I chose I:\FS202 as an example but I have also tried the default location too when testing for how to fix this.

Newest Nvidia drivers all GSync options enabled and latest W10 build with the gaming options enabled etc.

The problem manifests as such, when I first ran the game & installed it I had GSync working, options were set etc and it actually performed pretty nicely.  Fullscreen selected in game with mostly high and a few reductions here and there. I didn't have to do any NV Inspector stuff but I made sure to set the game to high performance.  All appeared OK.

However, if I then close the game normally as you do > touch nothing > launch the game again > change nothing > launch a flight anywhere > 100% of the time GSync will now be broken although I appear to be getting the same framerate as when it was working.  I have made sure the settings in NV CPanel are correct and indeed all other games are working fine.  GSync for full & windowed is enabled and I've been through the blurbusters setup guides for how to config GSync correctly, which I believe it is.

So I can 'fix' this annoying behaviour but it's only a one time deal until the next start.  Basically I have to delete the usercfg.opt (or go to > PC Settings > Apps > MSFS > Reset game data).  Upon starting the game it will now ask me to provide a path to download the game content so I point it to the location as mentioned above.  This then checks for updates, continues into the game in windowed mode whereby I can set the GFX options I want > apply > and GSync works again, but not upon the next restart so I have to repeat again.

If I check the newly created config file then it has the same contents as when GSync would fail on the next start without the above 'fix'

I assume this is down to the pseudo fullscreen mode. The initial start without a cfg file created appears to start fullscreen (dev logos appear etc) then drops to a window when it prompts me for the game content folder. It's this switch (and then back to FS when FS option is set) which appears to trick the game into GSync mode, for me anyway.  I've tried a few alt+enter to flick between window and FS, doesn't help.  Any number of attempts to set Window mode and exit, open game, set to FS etc or vice versa have not helped.

Anyway, sorry for the ramble and suggestions welcome.  

1 hour ago, DesLynam said:

100% of the time GSync will now be broken although I appear to be getting the same framerate as when it was working

What are you using to determine that your Gsync feature is not working? How do you know it's not functioning?

5 minutes ago, hangar said:

What are you using to determine that your Gsync feature is not working? How do you know it's not functioning?

If you're used to G-Sync, you can just tell when scrolling your view across the cockpit. I've got the same issue.

Also, I can't get it to stay on through Nvidia Inspector. What settings are you folks using? Are you using 'Microsoft Flight Simulator' as the application from the drop-down list? Just trying to check I'm applying correctly.

Edited by spacedyemeerkat

Well I've been using Gsync for only 2 years so I'm no expert, but so far I've never experienced any difference from startup to startup in the sim. Then again I do not use the new drivers and I do not use nvidia inspector.

Since Gsync is not just driver driven, but also dependent upon the display monitor itself...have you tried just powering down your monitor while in-game then turning it back on? This will reset Gsync, if you think you are having troubles with it.

I'm visually determining it, as the effect of no Gsync compared to when it's on is very obvious. Bad stuttering below the max refresh rate of the panel as opposed to a smoother transition when it's working.  I haven't tried powering off the display when this happens so will give that a try.  Thank you.

Edited by DesLynam
formatting

@DesLynam

My Predator monitor has a feature that colour codes to red (LED lights underneath) to indicate that G-Sync is on and functioning. Does your monitor have this feature?

Aside from that, the reset your monitor may assist.

i7 8770K @ 4.7Ghz + Corsair H100i GTX  Water Cooler - 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000Mhz - NVidia RTX 2070 XC 8Gb - ACER X34 Predator IPS GSYNC 3440x1440 Monitor - ASUS ROG STRIX Z370H - 2 x Samsung SSD Pro 512Gb  - 1 x Samsung EVO 1Tb - Win 10 Pro 64  21H2 - MSFS

"All in, all the time"

Steve Summers

unfortunately not @XCLTM3,  it's one of the LG oled newer TV's with the variable refresh rate which does work all the time everywhere else.  The bit I can't fathom is why deleting the config file and recreating it kicks gsync into life during that initial setup.

30 minutes ago, DesLynam said:

unfortunately not @XCLTM3,  it's one of the LG oled newer TV's with the variable refresh rate which does work all the time everywhere else.  The bit I can't fathom is why deleting the config file and recreating it kicks gsync into life during that initial setup.

Check your refresh rate in game. Does it change? If so, G-Sync is working.

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

Thanks Ian - I saw your post and this is what I've been doing.  It doesn't solve it for me I'm afraid.

I'm not sure I have anyway of displaying refresh rates in game, this is a souped up TV without traditional monitor functions although the var refresh rate does work everywhere but in this sim.  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, DesLynam said:

Thanks Ian - I saw your post and this is what I've been doing.  It doesn't solve it for me I'm afraid.

I'm not sure I have anyway of displaying refresh rates in game, this is a souped up TV without traditional monitor functions although the var refresh rate does work everywhere but in this sim.  

Turn on G-Sync indicator in Nvidia control panel

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

OK just want to add what I have done to resolve this and there's certainly something unique about this software in my system at least.  As I'm running on a 4k display I used the suggested scaling settings when Windows was installed, this basically scales up all the tiny text/icons etc.  What I doscovered was that when I set this back to the default 100% the GSync issues were gone. It works  100% of the time without any deleting of the option file. 

I can live with smaller text and Chrome has the useful scaling setting anyway so not too much of a problem.