Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Conquering the CTD issue in FS2020

Let me start this off in saying we all have different issues into what's causing CTD's with our installs. Flying long range in the Longitude was/is mine:

I got fed up when I tried to do an easy flight from KVNY to KHND (LA to Las Vegas).  Right at the top of decent I was hit with a CTD.  It happened every time I tried.  I decided to fly the route in the opposite direction (KHND to KVNY) and it worked.  I then went back and tried the original route and it worked.  I tried the original route again and I was able to land without issue.

Next test was KTEB to KFFC.  I found initially a CTD at the beginning of climb out from the airport.  Tried it again and I got a CTD just past KEWR.  I had a few more until the route let me fly almost to DC (one more), from there no other issues until landing.  Now before I could not do the opposite route (KFFC to KTEB) without a CTD in the NY area.  Now I can take off from KTEB and fly all the way down to Atlanta (KFFC) without any issue and then fly the same route back (both day and night).  

From what I'm seeing there must be a problem with scenery loading.  Once you fly over the area a couple times and allow the problem loading area to get stored in cache the issue is no longer present.  I've seen this are rare occasions in FS9.  If there was an area I never flew to before or had a new livery on a plane in that new area the sim would crash the first time.  From there there was never an issue again.  Problem is there are too many of these areas in FS2020.  If one wanted to fly from Atlanta to LA how many of these spots would you have to sort through to get a clear path to your destination.  I counted four out the NY area before everything worked.  One hiccup in the Vega area from the route I mentioned above.  Guess it's time to up my local cache but which one is the one to add disk space to???

Not sure if this will help anyone but for me just giving up and moving on wasn't an option after being unable to fly from LA to Vegas.   At that point is was just ridiculous I couldn't fly such a short route.  This is something that needs to be fixed as it looks like the core issue is the Bing scenery loading and maybe the buildings that sit on top.  It's a great idea but in some places it's causing CTD's as you fly along and performance issues with scenery loading (New York area).  If we can conclusively show what I did here helps get around CTD issues we have found the problem an can report back to Asobo what they need to address (if they don't know already).  Maybe the next patch has this addressed already but if not this is something to look out for.

• Like 2

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

28 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Let me start this off in saying we all have different issues into what's causing CTD's with our installs. Flying long range in the Longitude was/is mine:

I got fed up when I tried to do an easy flight...

I get CTDs also if I happen to enter an area where there is any significant air traffic. Suddenly my fps counter goes red, stutters, then crashes. So I turn traffic permanently off.

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

15 minutes ago, robert young said:

I get CTDs also if I happen to enter an area where there is any significant air traffic. Suddenly my fps counter goes red, stutters, then crashes. So I turn traffic permanently off.

Turned AI off but live traffic on works and is cool to see. Sadly never see more than some blinky lights but I'll take it!

SAR Pilot. Flight Sim'ing since the beginning.

16 minutes ago, robert young said:

I just turned off real world traffic so I'll see how this goes...

FS2020 

Perhaps, some of these suggestions might help.

They did for me!

Bob "roadwarrior" Werab

Config: ASUS Prime Motherboard, RYZEN 5, 32 GB Ram, Radeon RX5700 XT, 2 TB SSD

4 hours ago, Dillon said:

Let me start this off in saying we all have different issues into what's causing CTD's with our installs.

Just tried this flight in the TBMSMO-VGT and it CTD'd literally in the middle over the desert with view out left corner window in cruise

Edited by n4gix
Removed unnecessary long quote!

1 hour ago, Dillon said:

Guess it's time to up my local cache but which one is the one to add disk space to???

Like has been requested elsewhere to post system specs when issues could be specs related, perhaps it's time on an issue like this to report cache size.  If it is a factor then that should surface in a relatively quick manner.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

14 minutes ago, Flyfaster said:

Just tried this flight in the TBMSMO-VGT and it CTD'd literally in the middle over the desert with view out left corner window in cruise

No try it in reverse.  Then try it the original way again.  If you no longer see the issue something had to be stored in cache hence the need to possibly up the cache size to capture problem areas.

FS2020 

1 hour ago, KSATRoadWarrior said:

Perhaps, some of these suggestions might help.

They did for me!

This makes no since but I'll try it...

FS2020 

2 hours ago, Dillon said:

No try it in reverse.  Then try it the original way again.  If you no longer see the issue something had to be stored in cache hence the need to possibly up the cache size to capture problem areas.

I do have a 'medium' cache saved for the area with higher density cache for both LA and Vegas....

Should I delete those?

1 hour ago, Flyfaster said:

I do have a 'medium' cache saved for the area with higher density cache for both LA and Vegas....

Should I delete those?

No.  Once you fly the areas and store all the problem locations in your cache to where you no longer have a CTD flying the route you want to keep your cache.  I have to totally retrain mine as I enlarged my file and lost everything.  I just got NY straight where I can fly in and out the area without issue. Now I'm working on Florida.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

1 minute ago, Dillon said:

No.  Once you fly the areas and store all the problem locations in your cache to where you no longer have a CTD flying the route you want to keep you cache.  I have to totally retrain mine as I enlarged my file and lost everything.  I just got NY straight where I can fly in and out the area without issue. Now I'm working on Florida.

Amazing. That is dedication. Will re-fly the areas when have time...

Amazing. That is dedication. Will re-fly the areas when have time...

It's really just flying from ATL to central Florida.  One way there had one CTD.  Flying back tonight had nothing and I landed without issue.  That's done.  Next it's Southern Florida flying over central which I took care of.  Might get one CTD.  After that Florida's done.  I'll have to redo my KVNY to KHND route. The problem is trying to fly from ATL to LA or Denver.   Again once you iron out the CTD spots along your route you never have to deal with it again unless you delete your cache file.  The whole east cost will not be an issue for me once I complete a successful ATL to KTEB route.  Hopefully there's a fix for this with the next patch... 

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Should I delete those?

I just read this again.  You have two cache options in FS.  One is 'Manual' cache for saving certain areas (by all means keep this if you have areas saved).  The one to adjust is rolling cache.  This is the one that will address CTD's when flying routes or just flying distances. Because I plan to fly many different areas I upped mine to 60gb.  Not sure how much space is needed but since I have a 1Tb drive 60gb dedicated to this is not a problem.  Adjusting the size of your rolling cache deletes what you already had meaning you'll have to start over.  

FS2020 

Update: After further testing I'm continuing to get good results.

FS2020