Sign in to follow this  
psimester

'Wind' now pronounced ''line'?

Something very strange has happened. I've been content to put up with the occasional odd pronunciation in VoxATC; re-addback instead of readback, glid eslope instead of glideslope etc. - at least they're consistent. I've read a couple of posts that give some instructions for changing pronunciations but I've not taken the plunge yet. However, suddenly the word 'wind' has started being pronounced 'line'.

Not the end of the world as I know the order of information from ATIS and from tower on approach so I know what is meant, but it's a little annoying that it's suddenly changed to a completely different word. Even when I'm expecting it, I find my brain is so busy trying to figure out why I'm hearing 'line' that I miss the bit that matters!

Presumably a tiny glitch in a file somewhere has changed the pronunciation. Has anyone any idea how this has happened and can recommend the easiest/best way to correct it?

Thanks.

What voices are you using? VOXATC is pretty much at the mercy of Microsoft if you are using Windows 10 voices. On my setup, if the word "wind" starts a sentence, like "Wind 225 at 3" (A little MSFS humor, sorry) it's interpreted by the MS Text to Speech pronunciation engine as the verb, like winding a clock. If the word "wind" is embedded in sentence like ", the wind is ...", then it is pronounced correctly as a noun. The upcoming VOXATC minor update (7.43) may fix this as it has some additional speech "goodies" and fixes included. Ivona add-on voices have their own pronunciation dictionary, so you can fix whatever you don't like.

I just use the original VoxATC voices together with the downloaded VoxPop voices, as I've done for years.

They've not had any trouble pronouncing 'wind' until very recently, but I can't think of anything I've done which would have changed the sound of that one word.

Are you using VOXATC 7.42 with Windows 10? If so, substitute Microsoft David (or whatever the default voice is for your language pack) for one VOXPOP voice and see how it does. It almost sounds like it has something to do with an OS update. Most users here rely on either Windows 10 voices or payware voices when using VOXATC.

Yes, VoxATC 7.42 and Windows 10.

I spent some time sitting at my usual departure airfield, setting one voice at time, listening to ATIS and trying to pinpoint where the problem is. I went through each individually and they all pronounced 'wind' correctly! I then switched them all back on and still ATIS was coming through correctly with each voice.

I then tried a short flight with my usual settings; ATIS at departure and arrival pronounced 'wind' correctly, but both takeoff clearance and approach pronounced 'wind' as 'line'.

Not sure where to go from here!

Edited by psimester
updated following flight

An update in case anyone else hits this issue.

I've done further flights using the default VoxATC voices and found the mispronounciation of 'wind' to vary; there appears to be no logical pattern to which voice gets it right or wrong, and whether it's Tower/Approach/ATIS. It just mystifies me why this has suddenly started happening after having used the program for years.

On 9/29/2020 at 4:27 AM, psimester said:

I've done further flights using the default VoxATC voices

do you mean VoxPop or your installed Windows voices .... Vox has no default voices.

for now, cheers

john martin

Hi vadriver. Sorry, long time user of VoxATC from the days of DVD with four voices included and I still think of them as the 'default'. Although I've upgraded to 7.42 I kept the voices from the DVD which I believe are AT&T Natural Voices.

I think the suggestion is probably correct that I'm hearing verb and noun pronunciations of the word wind, where what I think is 'line' may actually be 'wined'. It's just strange that it's one common word that I don't remember ever having had a problem with until recently.

I've briefly read a section in an AT&T manual about creating User Dictionaries for AT&T voices. If the pronunciation gets to really annoy me I may investigate further.

• Like 1

On 10/3/2020 at 1:57 AM, psimester said:

long time user of VoxATC from the days of DVD with four voices included

ah yes, i'd forgotten those voices on the disc ...... & then noticed your fsx topic tag.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:38 AM, jabloomf1230 said:

Most users here rely on either Windows 10 voices or payware voices when using VOXATC.

that includes me on P3D453 .......

for now, cheers

john martin