Sign in to follow this  
Clutch Cargo

Are simmers downloading areas? How about bandwidth/speed??

Just a couple of questions from someone who has not installed MSFS;

I understand you can download and save areas you want.  Let's say my home state of California.  Do many of you do something like that? Or with the constant patches it would be futile?

Also, I don't hear much about flying and bandwidth issues.  My speed is 20Mbps.  Does that mean I would be flying along and see the scenery degrade in quality because it can't keep up?

thoughts?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

At this stage, I'd be reluctant to try to get the entire state of CA local, because, as you say... beta... if they change something in the way they store or access the map data it could all be a waste right now. That being said, I have tried it. It can take it a minute to cue your data, it seems, which is not unreasonable, but once the downloading starts it goes along okay. I have heard some people are having "issues" with these caches too though, so ymmv.

My ISDN isn't much faster than your connection, and sometimes I can feel it slow down and think about getting a new chunk, especially in more urban areas, but it's not too big a deal. Plus, if you fly in the same area often, your local cache should be pretty well-prepared anyway.

2 hours ago, Clutch Cargo said:

Just a couple of questions from someone who has not installed MSFS;

I understand you can download and save areas you want.  Let's say my home state of California.  Do many of you do something like that? Or with the constant patches it would be futile?

Also, I don't hear much about flying and bandwidth issues.  My speed is 20Mbps.  Does that mean I would be flying along and see the scenery degrade in quality because it can't keep up?

thoughts?

My internet speed is 8 Mbps and it is working OK.

Yes, you can download a scenery area, but it would be a city, not a state.. 🙂

With 20 Mbps, you are going to be just fine.  The initial download is going to take a while, but after that, no issues..

Edited by Bert Pieke

Bert

You can download as much of the world as you like, and in three different levels of detail, if you have the storage space.

I saw no difference whatsoever myself. This is on a 60Mbps connection so your mileage may vary, of course.

Manual Cache only works with photogrammetry cities i believe.

Mike

Intel 12700k No over clocking 32GB G-Skill 3600 Ram MSI RTX3080

4 hours ago, Clutch Cargo said:

My speed is 20Mbps

I have a Gb connection. I was curious so I logged my download bandwidth usage during a session. Never broke 5-10Mbps. You should be just fine with 20 I'd think. Best way to know is to try it out for a buck and see.

5800X3D | Radeon RX 6900XT