Sign in to follow this  
SunTiger81

Auto Assigned SIDS / STARS / APPR

Quick question came up on YouTube.. wanted to ask here...

Will PT2 dictate a different approach to a runway if the weather changes (or for any other reason) than what has been "planned"?

i.e. in the real world, pilots of course "expect" a specific runway, and approach based on the current weather conditions.  But, ATC of course can always surprise you with changes for various reasons, causing you to have to re-enter your approach on the FMC in the plane.

So, far all my flights are totally pre planned and nothing changes.  Which, is fine.  But, I was wondering if there is an option for ATC to surprise us :-)?

37 minutes ago, SunTiger81 said:

i.e. in the real world, pilots of course "expect" a specific runway, and approach based on the current weather conditions.

weatherwise in the real, one anticipates the most likely, initially from the destination's TAF (+ notams / sop's) & then at about 50nm, from the ATIS (earlier with D-ATIS)..... this advises the "atc preferred" runway in use weatherwise / trafficwise / etc. (which may include downwinds and / or for navaid / visibility needs).

P2A can dynamically assign weatherwise ....... but I'll let a regular / current user tell you what to set ! 

Edited by vadriver
  • Like 1

for now, cheers

john martin

Thanks for the reply!  Yeah, I was basically wondering if P2A will always just use the star / sid / appr that is in the flight plan 100% of the time, or are there situations, at random where it will assign something different in route?   Just to have that feeling, like in the real world that things can change.  Does that make sense?

T

1 hour ago, SunTiger81 said:

where it will assign something different in route

https://pilot2atc.com/Product/P2A_200 User Guide.pdf ....... ATC Options p116 it seems ...... will outline what you would like.

but at the end of the day, no sim atc addon can react to a late change of metar on approach ..... but it is rarely the case to change runways from that assigned a few minutes early at the IAF. 

for now, cheers

john martin

I would like to confirm this...

According to the manual...

ATC Assigns SIDs-Check this option if you want ATC to assign your SID and give it to you during the Request for IFR Clearance. Remember to update your flight plan and your FMS/GPS so you fly the assigned SID. It may be different

from the one you planned for. If this option is not checked, but you have a SID specified in the flight plan, ATC will assign you a SID aligned to the active runway.

ATC Assigns STARs - This option will have Pilot2ATC determine what arrival procedure (STAR) is best based on the active runway and assign it to you while you are en-route. If you prefer to fly the procedures you have in your flight plan, just uncheck this option and the following one and check the “Force Pilot Runway Selection” option discussed below.

ATC Assigns Approaches  P2A ATC will assign the recommended approach procedure for the arrival airport. This will be the highest precision IFR approach available for the active runway at the arrival airport. Be sure to modify your flight plan and enter the correct Approach into your FMS or GPS unit. Also, remember that a valid IFR flight plan must contain an Approach. You will get an error message when you try and File the flight plan if it does not.

What about the ATC Assigned Approach?

That paragraph says nothing about assigning the approach en-route, and actually says you need to file a plan with an approach.  In the real world, most flight plans don't include a runway or an approach, that is relayed while en-route either by ATC or the airline dispatch. 

How does Pilot2ATC handle assigning approaches?

Edited by Virtual-Chris

Anyone? This is a critical decision factor for this app... at least for me. 

How well does the auto assignment work? Does it work at all?

Edited by Virtual-Chris

On 10/6/2020 at 2:09 AM, Virtual-Chris said:

That paragraph says nothing about assigning the approach en-route, and actually says you need to file a plan with an approach.

I just use the Auto option so it chooses the SID, STAR and Approach.  I take no notice of it till I get the relevant clearance which, for the STAR and approach does occur en route (by TOD if I remember correctly), and if the weather has changed significantly this can be different from the one it originally selected.

I think there's an option to make it pilot choice only, not ATC, but I don't use that as I don't think it is realistic.

Except on short flights I don't complete the flight plan in the FMC till I get the clearance. On short flights I do check the plan and enter it as I assume the weather won't change that much and it can get quite hectic unless i have a copilot visiting.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

4 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

It works well for me.

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

4 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Anyone? This is a critical decision factor for this app... at least for me. 

P2ATC does automatically assign a STAR and an approach when you file the plan. You don't have to do it yourself.
HOWEVER, these can change if the weather/wind changes in-flight. Happens to me all the time on longer flights. The ATC assigns the "real" STAR and approach in-flight shortly before you reach TOD. You won't have to refile a plan or anything, ATC will just tell you "Expect arrival ...." and from there on it is valid. Works for me every time.

There is also an option to completely randomize the STAR and approach every time (I suppose still with consideration of winds), if you want even more variety.

EDIT: Or what Pete said above me.

Edited by Fiorentoni