Sign in to follow this  
Bosco19

Where to get jet/turbine education?

Being an old single-engine, low-n-slow flyer, I have absolutely zero knowledge of jet/turbine ops as they would be applied in MS2020. Where can I obtain a bit of training on this? I may never fly tubeliners, but I do like the smaller faster turbine models for getting around sim-world. Basic knowledge on control ops and settings for these birds would be helpful, thanks

Intel i7-11700K@3.60 GHZ. 32 GB RTX 4070 Ti OC

try a couple of YouTube tutorials, so many out there just have to find one voice you'll like to hear for around an hour.

-

• Like 1

I7 10700K 16GB 3600MHZ RTX3080FE

General rule of thumb for turbines, hit the starter, and when n2 is somewhere around 20% (varies per plane, but since there are no manuals...) introduce fuel. If you introduce fuel too early there isn't enough airflow to keep the combustion heat from damaging the engine. If you introduce too late, your battery will die before the engine gets started. 😉

Most of the turboprop/jet aircraft in MSFS have FADEC, which means you don't really need to worry about settings once it's started. Just put the throttle where it needs to be and the engine computer will handle the details. This function is currently broken, at least in some of the planes (I have trouble getting the TBM's throttle much above 60% or so before the prop overspeeds or the ITT spikes, which is irritating) so you might get a bit frustrated if you pay too much attention to the gauges for now.

The fuel lever in one of the planes (I think the Caravan, but might be the King Air) is mis-labelled as "mixture" in the tool tip. It's not a mixture lever, it's a condition lever. You don't have to adjust mixture like you do in a piston engine. You're controlling "mixture" with the throttle. Lots of air is being stuffed in the front of the engine, and the throttle is controlling how much fuel gets sprayed into that air, which controls how hot the combustion gets - the hotter the fire, the more thrust / power output you get. Before takeoff, that condition lever should be advanced to 100% and stay there. On the ramp and in some cases during taxi on some of the turboprops you'll have the lever in ground idle (although ground idle has a bug in the TBM which causes an engine overheat, so don't use it yet).

Edited by eslader
  • Upvote 1

here's an easy one:

Dont control rate of descent solely with the throttle (like you do in a single engine piston). If you want to descend, point the nose and retard the thrust.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

And remember that everything happens slower with the throttle on a turbine. On a piston if you jam the throttle to 100% it'll power up quickly. On a jet, there's a lag because the engine needs to build thrust. Some jets are worse than others - older ones can take *seconds* to react to your power setting, which can really suck if you're low-power/low-speed on landing.

In terms of turbo props the big thing to get the hang of is the Constant Speed prop. The blue lever people tend to push fully forward and just leave there. While they do exist on some piston aircraft - virtually every turbo prop has one.

This video is pre-fs2020 and rather long but explains it all rather well:

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick

The TBM930 as currently implemented in MSFS is a good friendly first turboprop in my experience.  Agree on the prior poster's comments that the turboprop engine modeling is a bit wonky right now in some ways.

I haven't delved into the jets yet because they have the airliner-style PFD/MFD/FMS vs Garmins and I don't really want to spend hours watching youtube videos to figure out how to operate them when a few pages of textual documentation would suffice.

Personally I think the sim should come with some official documentation, I made a wishlist item to that effect that people can vote for on the MSFS forum.

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

Thanks guys. Good refs.and good explanations. I've had several BFR's in AC with CS props and though I understand the concepts, I never really fully understood the procedures involved. Instructors don't want to spend the time teaching you during a BFR, if you're only going to be flying fixed-pitch props. They just help you manage the settings. That CS prop video is a good one and will contribute to dealing with those types of AC in the sim. I'll also watch some turbine vids. Oddly, it's only now, in retirement from aviating (due to age-related vision issues), that I've generated an interest in flying glass panels and complex aircraft. Maybe it's because the real-world physics and depth perception are now gone from the experience and I'm filling in with other challenges.

10 minutes ago, Bosco19 said:

Thanks guys. Good refs.and good explanations. I've had several BFR's in AC with CS props and though I understand the concepts, I never really fully understood the procedures involved. Instructors don't want to spend the time teaching you during a BFR, if you're only going to be flying fixed-pitch props. They just help you manage the settings. That CS prop video is a good one and will contribute to dealing with those types of AC in the sim. I'll also watch some turbine vids. 

As the video is teaching a piston aircraft it is somewhat different to a turbo-prop - no manifold pressure in a turbo prop for example, but the basic principles are similar.

Understood. I just thought it was also a good time to gain a better understanding of CSP systems too. That's a very good conceptual and operational video to learn from