Sign in to follow this  
andyjohnston.net

Cessna 172

Is this only happening with me?  I can't get the 172 to hold a constant VS or Altitude.

Or is this yet another known issue?

[ This Content Is Restricted To Avsim Premium Members ]

Flew today,  No issues as you describe...

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

I fly the 172 all the time, I have no issues trimming level flight, except where you might expect it, such as with low clearance over mountains. Even then, it’s easily controllable with the stick and throttle.

I redid the flight I was trying to make, and everything seemed okay as long as I stayed below about 5000 feet.

2 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I redid the flight I was trying to make, and everything seemed okay as long as I stayed below about 5000 feet.

Hmm, I don’t much venture over 5000ft to be fair... I’ll give it a try...

3500-9500 no issues. Funny thing for me, is every time i load FS something different quirks up. So its never a consistent flight. 

• Like 2

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Yeah, I just flew from EGNS (Ronaldsway, Isle of Man) to EGNL (Walney Island), via the Lake District, and was able to trim level cruise at 5, 6, 7 and 8000ft.

of course, in a small aircraft like a 152, “level” means 8,000 +/- a few feet, say 20-30ft either way. The aircraft doesn’t have the momentum to keep a rock steady height with no variance. But with trim, in still air, it should be possible to stay within 20ft give or take, completely hands off.

2 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Did you lean out the mixture?  As you climb, lean the mixture a bit around 5000 feet (red pull valve next to the throttle) and try trimming level again.  That might be your issue.

Yes, but I wasn't referring to the 152, and as i said this was on auto, not just using the trim.

1 minute ago, LarryD said:

Did you lean out the mixture?  As you climb, lean the mixture a bit around 5000 feet (red pull valve next to the throttle) and try trimming level again.  That might be your issue.

I have the mixture set to auto, as I don't really know much about using it.

I have been flying the 172 exclusively and haven't had that issue.  I did have the G1000 decide to quit working on approach (didn't actually shut down but wouldn't take any inputs).  No other issues for a while (autopilot has only tried to kill me once in the last week or so).  I tend to cruise between 5000-7000ft.

46 minutes ago, andyjohnston.net said:

I have the mixture set to auto, as I don't really know much about using it.

How do you set mixture to auto on a C172? 

4 hours ago, andyjohnston.net said:

Is this only happening with me?  I can't get the 172 to hold a constant VS or Altitude.

Are you hand flying?  Or are you using the AP?

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere