Sign in to follow this  
Guest bustervk

Do we really have to buy all this stuff to be happy flying FSX?

Guest bustervk

Hi ALL,Buy Vista..?Buy a DX10-Videocard with 1Gb..?Buy lots of RAM..?Buy a better CPU..?Buy a better soundcard..?After one month of using FSX i moved from slightly- to "Completely Happy"YES I am, without buying anything new, at least not for FSX; simply because it is not needed at all!byeBertFSX & FS9win XP Prof SP2 DX9.0cP4 32002Gb RAMATI X740XL 128Mb300Gb SATA HDsound on board

It all depends on how much money your prepared to chuck at this sim, really.Don't despair though, freeware wizards haven't had enough time to get into their stride yet.Live in hope, just like we did with FS9 and see what turns up eh?

Dave Taylor gb.png

In the last day, and even in the last hour, my 'aging' P4 3.4 Prescott is flying SMOOTH as creamery butter running FSX.I even popped the 1.33 max PHYSICAL RAM barrier that most of us (including myself until this morning) had seen via a mem reporting app.My incredible new animation spec, came as a result of cresting and surpassing the 1.33 FSX RAM Usage logger-head.No,...it appears that you do NOT need to trash your one to three year old system to see enjoyable/usable performance from FSX. All sliders to the right? No...not yet...but now a VERY usable sim. A very enjoyable sim.Cheers!Mitch R.

Guest tcable

I have a 3 year old system- Athlon 64 3200, 1Gb ram, Radeon 800Xl 256. Performance is acceptable most of the time with sliders in the middle with some higher- Autogen at normal, radius at small, textures and mesh to the right :) traffic (all types maxed!!). I'm fairly happy right now considering the age of my system. I do have my scenery denstiy at normal, but I Can run very dense- airports really suffer, and short final is where I need better than 5fps.Hopefully DX10's improvements to the rendering pipeline really benefit FSX- maybe even offloading work onto the second cpu (That I currently do not posses) freeing up the other for the FSX main thread. We'll see :)I suspect that a PMDG grade addon will kill my pc.Tim

Yes Bert, same for me. I don't expect to buy any hardware upgrades to make FSX better. Great for me now - with some reasonable compromises. I love it.... and my girlfriend knows it..