Sign in to follow this  
captain420

What type of automated approach can the TBM do?

I'm looking into getting this plane more. For anyone who has experience with this plane and don't mind helping me out. I have been flying tubeliners a majority of the time. But I would like to set up a small flight to get a feel and see how this plane handles approaches. I am so use to ILS landing with capturing the localizer and having the glideslope bring me right down to the runway. But with the TBM, what's the closest I can get to an automated landing like I would on a 777, A320, etc? I'm not sure if the TBM 930 has equipment for ILS landings. Also when importing flight plans, can it follow the altitude for each waypoints? Not sure if Asobo has implemented VNAV yet. Even on the Flybywire A320, there seems to be no VNAV and that you manually have to dial in the altitude between each waypoint.

ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII ▪︎ Intel i9-10900K ▪︎ NVIDIA RTX 3090 FE ▪︎ 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro ▪︎ Windows 10 Pro (21H1) ▪︎ Samsung 970 EVO Pro 1TB NVME SSD (OS Drive) ▪︎ Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SATA SSD ▪︎ Seagate 4TB SATA HDD ▪︎ Corsair RMx 850W PSU

Should be able to do rnav,,, but certain aspects of the gps and game are broken in that respect..

your expiernce with the A320 sums up the tbm at the moment. I dont think vnav is working on any plane in the game ?  If I am wrong someone correct me ?

2 hours ago, captain420 said:

I'm looking into getting this plane more. For anyone who has experience with this plane and don't mind helping me out. I have been flying tubeliners a majority of the time. But I would like to set up a small flight to get a feel and see how this plane handles approaches. I am so use to ILS landing with capturing the localizer and having the glideslope bring me right down to the runway. But with the TBM, what's the closest I can get to an automated landing like I would on a 777, A320, etc? I'm not sure if the TBM 930 has equipment for ILS landings. Also when importing flight plans, can it follow the altitude for each waypoints? Not sure if Asobo has implemented VNAV yet. Even on the Flybywire A320, there seems to be no VNAV and that you manually have to dial in the altitude between each waypoint.

Very easy to do both ILS approaches & RNAV approaches.   I'm used to PMDG stuff and Majestic Q400 and quite frankly the Garmin 3000 works beautifully if you are aware of a few requirements.  The TBM is fabulous and is all I'm using after trying a few diff planes.  It is the fastest single-engine commercial plane out there.  You can also create a flight plan from within the TBM, and often I will create a flight plan, land, shut the plane down, then come back in an hour or two and enter a new plan directly into the MFD's planner, and it syncs w/ ATC, FWIW.  So no need to go into the main screen to create a new plan, very cool. 

Be aware w/ RNAV approaches, you must first remove other waypoints ahead of when you actually LOAD the selected RNAV approach.  And as these are RNAV GPS approaches you will keep the navigation mode in FMS, not LOC mode.  And although RNAV approach will not grab a glideslope, you do see the glideslope indicator so you can disengage the AP when you are about where you want to be w/ respect to that indicator.  For typical ILS approaches you will switch to LOC mode and will select Approach when you are in range just like you're used to and voila the correct ILS heading will be pre-selected.  You can select ILS frequencies from within the MFD as well, very cool.

Here's a little snippet of a rather pedestrian view of Galveston Island I just flew by--the water was showing fabulous white-caps earlier and you can see remnants of them hitting the wall.  This sim is nothing short of incredible, and that's after about 70h of use now!

Galveston-Island.png

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

2 hours ago, Noel said:

Be aware w/ RNAV approaches, you must first remove other waypoints ahead of when you actually LOAD the selected RNAV approach.  

Not totally following what you are saying here.  Could you please go a little deeper and expound on this statement?

It can do them all. Just not very well at times or compared to the authentic Garmins and AP.

5 hours ago, captain420 said:

LOL! I have the exact opposite problem. I've pretty much hand flown anything that I've flown for years and years, and the Very thought of a tubeliners  and automation made me burst into explosions of chain yawning. Now for the first time I'm racing through the manuals and the tutorials about how to use the automated systems, and having a lot of fun.

• Like 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

18 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

LOL! I have the exact opposite problem. I've pretty much hand flown anything that I've flown for years and years, and the Very thought of a tubeliners  and automation made me burst into explosions of chain yawning. Now for the first time I'm racing through the manuals and the tutorials about how to use the automated systems, and having a lot of fun.

Haha I'm having an exact opposite happen too--I'm enjoying hand-flying more now than ever!  But I do like the automated stuff but it helps to have something like FSCaptain to provide some 'reason to fly'.  There is no question for me w/ MSFS I can 'just fly' a lot more than I could in P3D, and that is in large part because the environment is far closer to the real thing and that adds meaning.

• Like 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

12 hours ago, LarryD said:

Not totally following what you are saying here.  Could you please go a little deeper and expound on this statement?

If you select a particular RNAV GPS approach while en route to your destination, and haven't yet passed thru all of the waypoints on the way to start the approach that were in your original flight plan, the G3000 will make you go to the last waypoint in the plan even if it's the wrong direction from where your approach procedure starts.  Another way to accomplish this is to just do a Direct To your destination airport to eliminate other waypoints ahead, then load your RNAV GPS approach from within the MFD and you will be routed to the 1st fix in the approach.   Hopefully that helps if not just go try it and you'll see what I'm referring to.  It makes me wonder if that is why some have had problems w/ RNAV GPS approaches.

• Like 2

Noel

49 minutes ago, Noel said:

If you select a particular RNAV GPS approach while en route to your destination, and haven't yet passed thru all of the waypoints on the way to start the approach that were in your original flight plan, the G3000 will make you go to the last waypoint in the plan even if it's the wrong direction from where your approach procedure starts.  Another way to accomplish this is to just do a Direct To your destination airport to eliminate other waypoints ahead, then load your RNAV GPS approach from within the MFD and you will be routed to the 1st fix in the approach.   Hopefully that helps if not just go try it and you'll see what I'm referring to.  It makes me wonder if that is why some have had problems w/ RNAV GPS approaches.

Thank you so much.  I'll make sure to do that.