Sign in to follow this  
malct

Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT GAMING 8GB OC

What resolution are the 3 monitors you intend to run?

I'd recommend turning on dev mode and looking at the FPS counter and seeing if you are 'Limited by Main Thread' (CPU) or 'Limited by GPU' before deciding what to upgrade.

The sim is limited by CPU in a lot of instances, and 'main thread' is running on a single core.  The new CPUs are a lot faster than the 4790K in single core speeds - see for instance https://youtu.be/KPWEdbfJ0oE?t=718. A 35% increase from the 4970K to the 9900K The upcoming AMD 5000 series is expected to be even faster in single threaded performance than the Intel 10xxx (an additional 10-20%).  They have non announced the non-X 5600 that will like be the price:performance sweet spot yet, but it's expected early next year.  So you could pick up a big increase (~40%) on the times you are 'limited by mainthread' with a CPU upgrade.

On the GPU side, the 3070 and 3060 are coming out, and then we don't know where the AMD releases will fall exactly performance wise. It's also likely nVIDIA will release 3070s and 3080s with more VRAM after AMD does their releases as a counter to that.

Personally I'd hold until the spring to wait for the dust to settle and reviews to come in on this new stuff.  I'd also try to save up to upgrade CPU & GPU at the same time, given the nature of the sim.  It's also possible we will see more optimization of the sim based on comments in the Dev Q&A, which might change your hardware buying decisions.

My 5700XT runs fine  on a single 1440p monitor but I still see 'Limited by mainthread', and I bough it a year ago at launch so my wife could have my 1070 to upgrade her machine.  I have a custom water cooling setup, so I'll be looking in the spring at upgrading to a 5950X and whatever AMD 6000 series card fits within the power envelope of my cooling.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

I run the card you speak of. Paired with a Ryzen 5 3600. It is Ok. Typically 38 FPS in the sticks, at high altitude with little weather. In dense areas, can easily drop to 20 FPS.  This is at 1440P, with a mix of mostly High settings, and a few Ultra such as clouds. Personally, I think the NVIDIA cards work better with the sim from what I have seen. I will probably upgrade to that in a few years. The 5700XT is very good for most other games. The sim is just a ridiculous, un optimized beast. The card is a good bang for the buck option if you are ok with not stellar performance.

Edited by jpe828

I had to make the choice about a month ago to upgrade from my RX 580 4GB. I wasnt able to use my 1440p screen at all and had to run it on a separate 1080p screen at medium settings and even then I would only get 20-30 fps in places I fly (puget sound). I am kinda old school in that ive only ever had Radeon cards, so I went with the RX 5700 XT 8GB and I payed about 380 for it. I also only have a Ryzen 5 1600 so it would be a total waste to get a lot of the higher end cards without upgrading my CPU.

I honestly havent had many problems with it. I play on high/ultra 1440p 120% scaling, I get pretty much a locked 30fps in Seatac in GA aircraft, might drop a little below on takeoff, but in the air im 35-50 FPS, and 40-50 FPS when flying over less built up areas. This is base settings with no overclock because I have been flying a lot and I multitask so I dont want to put the extra wear on my fans and listen to it like a jet engine. When I did OC it I def got about 7-10 extra FPS average but yeah it was loud and looked like it was running way hotter. I knew there were better cards out there coming along but I needed something quick and after researching the 5700 XT looked like an decent upgrade for me to get my setup to an acceptable configuration. I made it a point to get an 8GB card for obvious reasons.

I think there might be some driver bugs, not CTD bugs but mesh freakouts and such every once in a while. Also the driver software doesnt seem to allow the same depth of configuration that the Nvidia software does. Only thing that seems like is something that is out of the ordinary other than the occasional bugged textures is that there are definitely some shimmering issues that seem to be from the sim that are apparent on payware airports, and at 1440p its way more noticeable than when I was playing on the 1080p monitor. Render scaling helps a lot but you cannot push it too much.

Dunno, I def feel like I can play the sim to a level i'm happy with, even with plenty of payware, but now I have the flight sim fever and every jaggie and shimmer makes me want to get a 8K monitor on a NASA supercomputer.

regards monitors , I have 2 iiyama Prolite E2409HDS (1 spare and looking at buying another when MS upgrade to run 3, regards settings, I just use normal settings 

Edited by malct

Still watching the prices on the 5700 XT, I just wonder how the 5700 XT would cope with 3 monitors because i feel thats the way to go.

Having a few bugs on the 787, Buttons blank out mid flight or loose control of ability to set settings, i.e, Setting altitude and it will go from 10,000 upwards without doing anything and unable to stop it.