Sign in to follow this  
EdwardSm

VR Interaction for P3D and an Overlay

I have 2 questions about doing flight sim in P3D. Right now I'm using a barrowed Oculus Quest II (my son is awesome to his dad) so that I can test it out. I'm loving it and will be picking up my own VR headset. Anyway, my questions are:

1. Is it worth picking up a plugin such as FlyInside? I really have no clue about what the various plugins are for; which is my fault for not researching them. So far the flights I've made have been with GA directly in P3Dv4 and have been fine. I want to get back into my tubeliners though.

2. I like my own checklists. I have tried to look up a couple of overlays so that I can get them directly into the sim. Not having any luck though. Does anyone have suggestions about how to best get something injected into the VR headset? I understand that FlyInside (from question 1) allows access to P3D menus in VR. Does it also allow overlays?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ed

Edward Smoker Sr.

I would not recommend Flyinside for P3D. P3D‘s VR abilities are quite good. I prefer using my hardware HOTAS  (Thrustmaster), Pedals and a small gamepad.

For checklists (in aircraft that do not provide in-cockpit checklists) I use the GTN750 as popup, which provides me not only with a moving map but also with airport maps and checklists. The popup can be placed anywhere in the cockpit for convenient use. I conveniently pop it up by a Voice Attack command.

Felix

The Oculus Home software has the ability to overlay windows in VR natively. Just pop up the desktop and pin it and it will come with you into VR. Move and resize to your liking.

Unfortunately that did not work for P3D. I got it working on another VR application as a test to see if I was doing it correctly. 

Edward Smoker Sr.

For tubeliners, I'd recommend FS2Crew. that way you get a Nigel or Nigella to read and action your checks for you! Far more realistic. Ok, maybe sometimes, because their often playing on their phones taking instagram pictures of themselves and posting them when they should be working...maybe too realistic?

Edited by MarkJHarris
  • Upvote 1

Mark Harris.

Aged 54. 

P3D,  & DCS mostly. DofReality P6 platform partially customised and waiting for parts. Brunner CLS-E Yoke and Pedals. Winwing HOTAS and Cougar MFDS.

Scan 3XS Laptop i9-9900K 3.6ghz, 64GB DDR4, RTX2080.

B737NG Pilot. Ex Q400, BAe146, ATP and Flying Instructor in the dim and distant past! SEP renewed and back at the coal face flying folk on the much deserved holidays!

On 11/18/2020 at 3:59 AM, EdwardSm said:

Unfortunately that did not work for P3D. I got it working on another VR application as a test to see if I was doing it correctly. 

Not sure why you have problems. I works just fine for P3D. If you explain how you do it and what results you get, I'll try to help