Sign in to follow this  
Guest allcott

Another major milestone on the way...FSX on Vista

Through Microsoft's Software Assurance I have received a copy of the Business and Enterprise retail version of Vista.FSX runs very smoothly on Vista and dx10 without any of the tweaks I had to apply to get it to work with XP and dx9. Of course this is not the same version that will be specifically designed for the games platform due out Jan 30th. Still, I am very pleased that it works without tweaking.I have installed two of my favorite planes and ran into problems with both of them. The Flight1 Cessna172 installed flawlessly with everything working as far as I can tell. One major problem is with the flight model in that I can't get the plane to settle down using elevator trim. It pitches up even with very little power and the elevator trim in neutral. Eaglesoft's Cirrus G22 installs okay but kills FSX when loaded either at startup or after startup with the default Cessna. The error says FSX was shutdown to protect it via the DEP security feature(Data Execution Prevntion). This feature can be turned off for some executables, unfortunately not for fsx.exe.I expect add-on vendors will once again have to test and re-release Vista versions just as they did for FSX.Still, FSX is running better than ever with very few pauses using increased graphic setting such as water, vehicles and autogen. I had to resort to many small tweaks to get this level of smoothness when running FSX on XP Pro.Regards,

"The error is says FSX was shutdown to protect it via the DEP security feature(Data Execution Prevntion)."Thank you for the information. Hopefully the error is an enterprise issue and won't be included in Vista premium for home. If so, another solution without a problem for gamers; just like gauge licenses. bob...

Guest FxF3

This sounds like great news thanks Kem.

Thanks for the info..was just talking with another developer the other day about the higher security issues in Vista and the challenges they present to developers across the board.Since we are not involved with Vista Beta we will have to wait for the street version and evaluate from that point forward:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Thanks for the reply Ron. It is very difficult to fly without the Cirrus G22. It is a must have for me. I have just about every plane your company has produced - really top notch.I'm in no hurry with FSX on Vista. I'll wait patiently until all the add-ons catch up. I know expected Vista to be a challenge coming on the heels of FSX.Hats off to Eaglesoft for pushing envelope.Take care,

Guest allcott

To correct one small misapprehension. Your copy of FSX is NOT running under DX10. It is running under DX9.0L. FSX cannot run as a DX10 application until its patched. So what you have there is a `halfway house` that perhaps is the best reason yet NOT to rush to switch to Vista if you are a simmer. The cost of the OS for increasde smoothness can be obtained under XP by purchasing more RAM or upgrading the graphics card, both of which will go on to be of benefit under any eventual Vista update.As most FS developers will be in the same boat as Eaglesoft, it coudl be some considerable time after switching to Vista before you get your favourite aftermarket aircraft installed and working, and given the work involved for this second `update` after the main FSX one it might not be free. Allcott

Thanks for the kind words Ken:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Guest Logan826

"and given the work involved for this second `update` after the main FSX one it might not be free." Just my opinion, but if they don't make any updates fixing the original faulty, yes I said faulty, program, I'm afraid they will lose a lot of new and old FS customers.

Guest smarti05

and if you bothered to search some of us have been running fsx on vista since it came out and you cant run it in a window which is a pain.But sorry this is very old information

Aces already stated they will issue something for DX10. As to FSX performance, it generally hoped that Aces will do something with that as well:-)

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Interesting....I'm running Vista RTM Ultimate and I don't get anywhere near the experience you are.There are still significant pauses, stuttering and frame rates are still pretty abysmal.I've been running Vista since last year and I can say that almost all FS9 addons so far seem to work. The only software tested not compatible with Vista is Flight1's ATR (which give you a error 429 "cannot initiate ActiveX Control". But otherwise FS9 and all others seems to work fine.What are your system specs? EDIT: What video drivers are you running?

different experience here - I touted a few weeks back that performance in Vista was much better for me (especially smooth-ness) in RC2 vs XP.Well I buggered my XP build with an over optimistic overclock of my memory, and had to reinstall XP, only problem was boot loader for Vista was also on the XP drive (dual-boot) - so lost both.Reinstalled XP last weekend, and have been running FSX in that all week .... uurgh - definately worse performance.reinstalled Vista RC2 today + RC2 ATI drivers, and much better - smoother, higher frame rates etc.X1900XT + E6600 @ 3.25 gigMark.

Thanks Smarti.I didn't have to search as I am well aware of others running FSX on the beta Vista. I am a regular here.I too have been running/testing FSX on Vista betas since its release. Here I am only pointing out my perceived performance gains running FSX on the just released Business/Enterprise version of Vista.Also, I am not aware of other reports about DEP? Have you ran into this during your testing with FSX and Vista? If so, have you found a way around it?I'm sure there will be other small and different issues when the retail enhanced version comes out in Jan.Just sharing my experience with others.Take care,

Fascinating... When you say "much better", "smoother", "higher framerates", please quantify with real objective figures? I'd be interested in comparing notes.

Hi Mike T.I don't have figures from FS9 as I'm firmly planted in Vista so I can't give accurate data. Sorry. Once I moved to Vista I was able to install FSX with the default settings only and it ran very smoothly compared to my experience running FSX on XP.I'll get figures from FSX on Vista shortly and post them here. As for my system specs:Vista Business2GB RAM3GHz H/TATI Radeon X1300/512MB PCI-EI'm not using ReadyBoost as I don't have a compatible USB drive. I'm not sure it would make a difference with FSX. Are you seeing improvements with ReadyBoost using FSX? I've talked to others that couldn't get the OCX 2MB USB Drives to work with ReadyBoost. Anything special you are doing to get it to work?Also, what type or version of Vista RTM are you using?Thanks,