Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

MSFS Packages folder on both C&D drives

Thread title says it all. Not sure how this happened, but I noticed it now that I've tried to install my first livery. Here are the paths:

C:\Users\mtr_n\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe
D:\Users\mtr_n\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe

The sim is installed on the D drive.

The difference between the folders on the C and D drive lead me to believe that the sim is reading everything off the C drive (remember, sim is installed on D drive). Here are the contents of the two LocalCache folders:

C drive:

Folders:
Facilities
Packages
PC
SceneryCache
SceneryIndexes
SimObjects

Files:
Cameras.cfg
Content.xml
FlightSimulator.cfg
GRANTEDREWARDS.BIN
ROLLINGCACHE.CCC
SimConnect.xml
UserCrg.opt

D drive:

Packages

In the Packages folder on the D drive there is an Official->OneStore folder with a boatload of asobo and fs-base and microsoft folders.

So I kind of get the feeling that the sim is installed on the D drive, some of the files and folders are on the D drive Packages, but *most* (99%) of the Packages content is on the C drive. And though I'm not an expert in these matters at all, something tells me that ain't right.

Questions:
Am I correct in assuming that I should have one Packages folder with all this stuff in the same place, and not split on two drives?
Am I correct that it should all be on the same drive that the sim is on?
Can having it split like this cause performance issues?  (I'm guessing yes)
How can I fix this? Can I copy and paste files and folders and then change some settings in the sim to direct it towards the D drive? Or am I going to have to reinstall the whole thing?

I'd rather do it right at this point than half-donkey it and have problems.

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

I have exactly the same with my C & F drives. Pretty sure what you are seeing is the symbolic link structure that MS needs. Regardless of where you install, symlinks will be put on the C drive. The only way to avoid this is to allow the actual default install.

I wouldn't worry about it.  If you reinstall and put the sim on D you will still get the links on C.

Vic

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Thanks Vic, I really appreciate the answer! Gives me peace of mind.

I've installed msfs on a second SSD, but i'm not sure how much of the install has gone onto the C drive.  A bit of a pain if I need to reinstall Windows.

I have bought a 1 TB M.2 SSD and intend to clone my MSFS 250 gb SSD on to it when it arrives next week. It will be interesting to see how much the increased transfer rate improves performance and loading times.  Anyone else using M.2 drives?

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

you could check transfer rates with task manager/ressource monitor and then compare SSD vs. m.2. it depends what transfer speed your SSD/m.2 is rated at. I have both drive types, but have not tested yet, and I doubt you'll feel a difference in fps during flight. re-loading of scenery data happens gradually as you fly, not all at once, except at initial program start. might be slightly different for low flying fighter jets, at supersonic speeds but who would want that in MSFS 🙂

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

If you look in the folders on the C drive you will find there is very little to nothing inside them besides small cfg and idx files. FSX had the same deal but in a different location. I have the same on folders on my C drive and the total of all the files is only about 10-MB. My install is on D. Some people using cache have a large file in there, not sure about that, I don't use a cache but when I did I specified it to be on a different drive.

Edited by desbean