Sign in to follow this  
threexgreen

Exceeding VRAM with Reverb G2

I received my G2 today but could barely test it because P3D v5.1 HF1 started throwing its VRAM tantrum again. The strange thing is that it works fine with the G1 - I only ever get VRAM OOMs or hung errors when switching in and out of VR a lot when I'm testing settings, but it never happens when I actually fly so that's fine. Now with the G2 I'm constantly running into VRAM OOMs and hung errors to a point at which I don't even have a chance to get into VR most of the time. I'm using the same settings.

I've tried some things like updating my GPU drivers so far but nothing helped. I've now reduced all my settings to the lowest possible. This has eliminated the issue so I'll need to start playing with the settings now to find the sweet spot between visual experience and VRAM OOM territory.

I'm wondering however why I'm having these issues all of a sudden just because it's a different headset. Does the G2 do anything differently? Did anyone else need to lower their settings with the G2 to prevent VRAM and hung error issues?

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

The g2 has higher resolution, I've used over 17gigs of VRAM with my g2 in p3d and fs2020.

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

12 hours ago, Pilot53 said:

The g2 has higher resolution, I've used over 17gigs of VRAM with my g2 in p3d and fs2020.

The resolution is the same in the G1 and G2 (2160x2160). The reason the G2 is even clearer (in the sweet spot) are the redesigned lenses. I don't know to what extent that requires additional computing power and VRAM or if it's only a matter of lens tech without changing anything in hardware requirements. As far as I know it's only the new lens design that makes it clearer.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 1/15/2021 at 7:36 AM, threegreen said:

The resolution is the same in the G1 and G2 (2160x2160). The reason the G2 is even clearer (in the sweet spot) are the redesigned lenses. I don't know to what extent that requires additional computing power and VRAM or if it's only a matter of lens tech without changing anything in hardware requirements. As far as I know it's only the new lens design that makes it clearer.

Oh really? I thought the resolution was different

Lian Li 011 Air Mini | AMD 7950X3D | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F | Arctic Cooling Liquid Freezer II 280mm RGB | 2x32GB G.Skill DDR5-6000 | ASUS TUF RTX 4090 | Seasonic Prime Platinum 1000W | Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, Pilot53 said:

Oh really? I thought the resolution was different

No, it's the same actually.

Triple check that your max texture resolution is set to 1024 even if you have more than 8GB VRAM. Device hung has many causes. Check that you haven't unknowingly increased the load on your GPU more than you did with the G1. If the settings are identical the device hung problem should be the same on either headset.

29 minutes ago, glider1 said:

Check that you haven't unknowingly increased the load on your GPU more than you did with the G1.

Settings are all the same. All I did was unplug the G1, boot the PC and plug in the G2.

8 hours ago, threegreen said:

Settings are all the same. All I did was unplug the G1, boot the PC and plug in the G2.

The only other thing is whether the VR software either WMR or SteamVR automatically changes some settings when a different headset is detected. You'd have to go through all the settings and verify that they are identical for each headset.

I believe that steam vr sets a higher a resolution by default, it may be worth checking the ss value in steam vr and reducing if set to 100%. 

This is actually higher than the native resolution of the headset and could explain the difference.

I think it's the same for the two headsets. I've upgraded to a 3090 anyway which I wanted to do for some time so I'm on the safe side now. How much of an FPS hit is SS?