Sign in to follow this  
Guest Langeveldt

MUST SEE. Grand Canyon geological survey in FSX.

Guest cbuchner1

Hit me with a stick, punch me hard. I don't know what to say - this is just plain incredible. I must be dreaming or something. A 10m mesh, a 1m photo texture - dynamically loaded through an interface to Google Earth into Flight Simulator X - and what you get is this:http://www.flickr.com/photos/71882461@N00/...57594419190685/Look at these shots in high resolution (1024x768 or above). The tiny slideshow window loses too many details.I've been to the Grand Canyon. I've taken many photos - and there is just not much difference to these screenshots. I am utterly speechless. In reality it is not allowed to take your helicopter into the Grand Canyon like this. So not many people get this particular view due to environmental protection issues. After all, it's a national park and it's supposed to remain QUIET.Overhanging cliffs are not possible with the terrain mesh, and near vertical inclines lose texture resolution - but overall the detail is just insane - of course there are a few spots that don't look quite right - but honestly: has *this* been done before? This could be shown right at SIGGRAPH as an example of state of the art realtime terrain rendering. Someone at Microsoft, Google, or whoever. HIRE ME. I want to do this 3D stuff professionally, PLEASE? I can also demo my prototype live if you want to evaluate the potential.For more background on this work, check the technical thread in the Scenery Design Forum, as well as the comments in the Photorealistic Terrain Visualization thread in the FSX forum.To the community here: tell me if you want me to be less vocal about this project and/or post my screenshots at some other place or forum (here I will get the most eyballs though). I certainly do not want to hijack this forum. On a final note, there is an amusing artifact where you can spot a cloud sitting on the ground texture, and its shadow next to it.Oh, and remember that this project would allow me to fly ANYWHERE on the planet - for best effect there should be a 10m or other high resolution mesh available in the Public Domain though. Any suggestions for sweet flying spots? The Big Sur? Yellowstone? The Himalaya? Choices, so many choices...Christian

Guest cbuchner1

Not a big deal. I was able to restore my post - after all the editing period is a good thing!

Guest cbuchner1

I do not know if it would be a good thing to go to a larger audience. thinking of slashdot or digg.com - Any takers? BUT... If Google find out about it they might pull the plug on me - and pull it hard - at least concerning this satellite data feed. But they might as well invite me for an interview.Christian

Guest cbuchner1

I know, I know.But the Microsoft developer relations manager hasn't been getting back to me for a week now. I am getting more and more nervous about this... ;)

>I know, I know.>>But the Microsoft developer relations manager hasn't been>getting back to me for a week now. I am getting more and more>nervous about this... ;)>Don't worry too much about that. You'll get in touch with somebody.

Just a hint - click on a small picture. You go to a new page.Look for:Additional Information

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

Guest 777_lr_2k7

Microsoft working with Google, never. But no doubt the future of FS is in the images posted because from the images (nice work!) posted FSX looks beyond amazing. And imagine photorealistic autogen to go with the ground textures, damnnnnn. Who knows maybe Microsoft has already planned something similar for FS11.

Guest Rick Baldwin

Dick,Thanks for the instructions. It makes a world of difference to see them full screen!Christian, could you please post a full motion video? I'm curious how it looks when you get close to the ground or land. Also, in order to view dusk or night scenery you would need photos taken at dusk or night, is that correct? (In other words, the FSX scenery engine cannot cause photos taken in daytime to look like nighttime I assume?) In any case, what you've managed to achieve is beautiful!And by the way, you can always go into hiding after posting the video if you feel it is necessary. :)-Rick----------- My System -----------P4 @ 2.53 GHz / 1GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 6800XT, 256MB / Windows XP Home-Rick

Guest JuiceRabbit

I second that... can you post a video of your work in YouTube?

Guest Pyjamas

Stunning, simply stunning. Pyjamas