Sign in to follow this  
Holclo

New to VR need some very basic help.

Hi,

I have just today got MSFS 2020 VR running on my Quest2. (That was a lot of reading and watching YouTube videos to get this far!!)

To save me lots more searching can someone please help me with:

(1)Pausing the sim whilst in VR? How do I do that?

(2)Quitting the sim whilst in VR (I have to use Task Manager at this time)

(3)Recommendations for an upgraded computer from currently an i5 processor with a GTX1060 graphics card.

Many thanks for any help.

Pause should work just like pancake mode ie esc key or the active pause pause/break key.

as for quitting the sim, you can’t quit from the main menu? I’ve always just turned vr on before loading the flight and in between flights turned it off.

depends on how old the i5 is, and certainly a 1060 is on the clinging for life struggle bus in VR for the sim World. It’s a terrible time to upgrade though with the no stock and super scalpers.

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor

Hmm certainly in the headset there is no sign of the Active Pause and the other associated drop down menus.

On the main monitor (TV) I can see only the twin displays. I think I should be able to get a normal display?

Keyboard seems to be not recognised.

But I am only 1 hour old in VR terms!!

Thanks also for the heads up re upgrading.

If you dont see an assignable in the options for controls VR, type in the word and it will appear... if it is assignable in VR

Edited by peppy197

5 hours ago, Holclo said:

Keyboard seems to be not recognised.

Make sure FS2020 is not minimised and has the focus on your main screen when in VR, otherwise your keyboard and mouse won't respond.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

3 minutes ago, RESET MCP ALT said:

Make sure FS2020 is not minimised and has the focus on your main screen when in VR, otherwise your keyboard and mouse won't respond.

true enough as it is essentially another  monitor 

Hmm Just loaded all up again this morning and once again my keyboard was not getting any response - I had to quit via Task Manager again.

On my main monitor I see the dual screens and double mouse pointers visible in each screen. I do not see the MSFS Main Menu.

Something is wrong .

Thanks for helping - hopefully we can solve this.

Nasty problem, the next MSFS update hopefully solves this. In the meantime, make sure your headset isn't in sleep mode but shows the Oculus home. Also that the MSFS window is the active one. Put on the headset, mouse click once more (just to be sure MSFS is active window) and then CTRL-TAB. Hopefully now it will work for you.

Edit: I always load a flight first before I go in VR, maybe that makes a difference.

Edited by Gerwil

I can get VR running OK ( I have set the Shift Right key  as my VR trigger) .---- I just cant  quit and get out of MSFS2020 without using Task Manager via ctrl/alt/del. 

The problem also is still there when running MSFS in 2D mode. Have I messed up the keyboard settings somehow? I am running in Windowed mode which for some reason I cannot resize either.

I also have a 2nd monitor attached as I am running MSFS2020 in my Home Cockpit Rig.This is set up as an extended display where I can drag screens to-however I cannot drag the MSFS screen to it but that is probably another issue

Edited by Holclo
Extra info.

Ah, that could be the problem, the extended desktop. I have two monitors connected too but they are configured as duplicates. Your mouse pointer, keyboard and MSFS could be hidden on the extended screen when in VR.

The best investment you can make for VR is the VoiceAttack app. This great little tool  allows you to assign voice commands to any keyboard shortcut. You can even automate mouse movement/clicks if no keyboard shortcuts are available for other applications. Send the commands explicitly to the executable image ie FlightSimulator.exe rather than "Active Window" to avoid active window focus ambiguities. There are very few cases where I need to touch a keyboard.

I experienced the "no response to alt/tab or even alt/ctrl/delete" while MSFS was running full screen. The alt/tab behavior seems to be more consistent with MSFS in windowed mode.

I9-10900K 32GB DDR4 @3000 RTX3080TI 11GB VRAM. Factory clock. HP Reverb G2

OK I "think" I have most of my queries/problems sorted. I can now successfully get flying in VR. I do need to tweak it for best performance.

For setting up purposes I can now get MSFS opening on my 2nd monitor which makes assigning/calibrating controls much easier as they are much more visible to me.

I have been able to set buttons for "pause on"  and "pause off".

When flying 2D and VR my mouse remains active but there is no response to the keyboard.

That makes it impossible, for example, after landing to get back to the flight planning screens without shutting down and restarting MSFS but maybe that is the way it is??

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

• Like 1