Sign in to follow this  
yankeegolf3

Cessna 172 autopilot problem

In the C172, what I do is this:  Set altitude to what I plan to fly at and heading bug to takeoff runway heading.  I take off and after achieving some altitude and raising flaps, I'll press the Ap button and then immediately press the 'UP' button to increase vertical speed.  I've tried presetting VS but on some random occasions that will cause the elevator trim to be set wildly off and if you dont catch that before takeoff you are in for some fun.  The plane will fly at heading (or NAV if you wish), climbing to assigned altitude.  

I believe the problems are related to defaults for heading and VS and ALT  but its just a guess.

I had it happen one time where the autopilot tried to kill me and disengaging it was the only solution.  I had been in external mode looking at clouds and I feel the sim didn't properly revert all of its default commands back to cockpit camera mode because I think I pressed keypad 4 after returning to the cockpit and thats what caused all the trouble but keypad 4 isnt assigned to anything for me in cockpit camera mode.

Its probably just a weird bug and Im hoping Working Title will take care of it eventually (or Asobo).

Things arent right.  you just have to find ways that work and what I described earlier has been working well for me (even after the most recent update).

I would love to get to the point where I feel i can learn from the electronics and not just cleverly avoid their stupidity.

Edited by sightseer

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

14 minutes ago, sightseer said:

In the C172, what I do is this:  Set altitude to what I plan to fly at and heading bug to takeoff runway heading.  I take off and after achieving some altitude and raising flaps, I'll press the Ap button and then immediately press the 'UP' button to increase vertical speed.

I do the same, it took some suicide missions to figure that out.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

Another helpful hint when using the AP in the 172 (others as well) is when you are flying in hdg mode and want to change course, click the AP HDG button which will change the mode to ROL mode which keeps the wings where they are (straight and level hopefully). Then set set your heading knob to where you want to go. Once set, press the AP HDG button again and it will go back to HDG mode and the plane will turn. The advantage to this is not fighting with the heading knob while the plane is banking.

Edited by rjquick

On any aircraft, I set the Heading for the runway heading or what ATC assigns. I set takeoff trim. I take off, and trim aircraft for about a 600 FPM climb, than I engage AP and Hdg mode. Now I select VS, and adjust for the climb rate I want. Works every time. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I started flying at 16 in the late 70's and have been using MSFS since the days of Bruce Artwick & SubLogic "Flight Simulator".  I too had some random issues with the MFSF2020 AP in the 172, but the real problems as described above began for me with the latest update (May 31 perhaps).  My specific problems are:  MSFS switching from HDG to ROL mode with no input (yokes turn 90 degrees and lose control of a/c), AP Master Button may or may not engage/disengage, and Approach Mode may or may not work on active ILS approach.  My gut feeling is it is related to the latest update, but I am no programming expert.  Hopefully it will be overcome soon!  I spend a lot of time in the 172 and have the RSG GNS540 & 430 along with the Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Bravo Throttle Quadrant.  As a P.S.  These AP problems are the same with or without the add-ons (e.g. same results with add-on control buttons, mouse clicks, or keyboard entries).   If anyone learns of a fix, please share!!