Sign in to follow this  
MaggieL

Windows Security is finding malware in the GTN plugin

I am another member like you. Please take time to read previous posts here.  This is a well known false positive.  There have also been recent issues due to Windows Updates and updates or changes to worldwide virus signature databases.  All have been discussed in topics here over the past 10 days and are in place to aid you. It takes some time for developers like Reality XP to submit falsely identified files for exception in the database.  In the meantime you can learn here that you can select to ignore the warnings as the identified files are safe. There have been two related Reality XP GTN updates, including one only an hour ago. 

This is a wonderful website for simulator enthusiasts like you and me.  It does however get time consuming and frustrating for helpful members here to write and rewrite the same responses over and over when previous posts and responses are ignored, bypassed, or overlooked.  You may most often find more immediate help by taking a few minutes to look through previous discussions.

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Go ahead and try to read 48 pages of posts.

Then explain why a "well-known false positive" suddenly started appearing the plugin and the updater in Windows Security TODAY. 

1 minute ago, MaggieL said:

Go ahead and try to read 48 pages of posts.

Then explain why a "well-known false positive" suddenly started appearing the plugin and the updater in Windows Security TODAY. 

You only need to read very recent topic titles.  There are two not far below the listing of this topic.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Black Screen on GTN750 (GPU & Anti-Virus resolved) 1 2
By Little_D, Monday at 01:20 PM

Windows Defender started to quarantine RXP dll file
Topic was merged with Black Screen on GTN750 (GPU & Anti-Virus resolved)

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
ASUS 

A company reporting a million dollars of revenue needs to do better with product support than dumping everybody into a community forum. I'm trying to prep for an IFR training flight in the morning and my sim is crippled again. Simple prerelease testing should have caught this. 

Description

Reality XP was founded in 2001 and is headquartered in Canada. Our vision and leadership bring user oriented solutions to address customer challenges. Growing our unique expertise with our simTainment™ products, Reality XP is making these powerful components available for solutions beyond entertainm... Read More

Headquarters

Headquarters:

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Employees

Employees:

Revenue

Revenue:

$1 Million
Edited by MaggieL

35 minutes ago, MaggieL said:

A company reporting a million dollars of revenue needs to do better with product support than dumping everybody into a community forum. I'm trying to prep for an IFR training flight in the morning and my sim is crippled again. Simple prerelease testing should have caught this. 

Description

Reality XP was founded in 2001 and is headquartered in Canada. Our vision and leadership bring user oriented solutions to address customer challenges. Growing our unique expertise with our simTainment™ products, Reality XP is making these powerful components available for solutions beyond entertainm... Read More

Headquarters

Headquarters:

Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Employees

Employees:

Revenue

Revenue:

$1 Million

100% out of line.  The change that occurred was an update to an international virus database and no enterprise like the one under attack here gets any advance notice.  And the solution to the issue posted by this user has been effectively answered prior to his post and his unreasonable follow up posts.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
ASUS 

@MaggieL, you have provided no evidence of your claim. fppilot has suggested this is a false positive and that seems a perfectly reasonable explanation.

RealityXP have been around a long time and the chances they don't thoroughly check their software for viruses is inconceivable.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

RealityXP have been around a long time and the chances they don't thoroughly check their software for viruses is inconceivable.

Thank you! 

@MaggieL

I'm explaining the measures we're taking to keep malware away from production systems here:
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/522608-trojan-virus-false-positive/

Besides you can try this and see for yourself how millions don't pay your way out of virus detection (luckily it doesn't otherwise your computer would be infested for ages from people throwing money at it): it happened to me Windows was detecting a virus when installing the FS2020 SDK one  time...

And please, don't believe these figures, they are writing anything on these web sites. I'm surprised you fell for this trap because I've read some of your posts in the past and I thought you were showing more reasonable thinking usually.

Now I'm heading out on my personal B747 to the Bahamas for the Valentine week end! :laugh:

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Made use of the discount to buy the RXP GTN products and also experienced many problems with Mcafee deleting and quarantining files as virus threats. Although I know how to get around it I found it unusual and frustrating to track down all the files.

Johan Pienaar

On 3/4/2021 at 5:23 AM, pinepix62 said:

Although I know how to get around it I found it unusual and frustrating to track down all the files.

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. My last post in the aforementioned topic includes a screenshot helping identifying the most probable files being flagged by antivirus software from time to time.

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)