Sign in to follow this  
LAdamson

push or pull

Guest camtech

dumb question , on a 172 to increase power do you pull the throttles out or do you push the throttle in, same goes for mixture.thanks.......................Robert

Guest sdaigle

In the real plane, you pull the knob. (So if you control the throttle from the panel in the game you will have to pull the knob).But if you have a throttle on your computer joystick, the setting is probably that you have to push the throttle lever.

>In the real plane, you pull the knob. (So if you control the>throttle from the panel in the game you will have to pull the>knob).>>But if you have a throttle on your computer joystick, the>setting is probably that you have to push the throttle lever.>>Actually, in the real plane you push the knob to add power. The throttle arrangement in every aircraft I can think of is the same. If you want to go forward, you push the throttle forward. Now that I think of it, it's the same with my truck! :)Mike BromleyPP SEL

<"In the real plane, you pull the knob. "> :-boomuh. . . no. . . with most every aeroplane that I've ever heard of - to increase power the pilot will PUSH the throttle knob or lever away from him/herself. Usually toward the front, forward, the nose. Not 1000% absolutely positive - but I'd bet money on it - "there has never been a Cessna aerplane built where the pilot pulled the throttle to increase power". I don't even think you could install the thing in reverse. sorry. . :)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Real 172 pilot here: You PUSH the throttle to increase power, you PULL the mixture knob to lean the mixture. Upon startup you PULL out the throttle entirely and then PULL in about 1/4" for startup while the mixture is set to RICH.Above 3000 MSL you have to lean the mixture (in most cases) by slowly pulling on the mixture knob. You'll notice the RPM gradually increasing, lean the mixture until you reach your highest RPM setting for the given throttle setting by PULLING the mixture knob and then PUSH again until your RPM is about 50RPM lower than the previous highest setting.Hope this helps,Pat

Guest allcott

+1. 800 hours in 172's and 150/152's, I've always pushed for take off, and I'm still here, so must have done something right!All modern aircraft throttles follow the design convention: "Push to go, Pull to slow". Allcott

Why don't you try it out for yourself by pushing the throttle and seeing what happens?

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

What airport are you planning on taking a plane from so I can keep an eye on the news?

Guest DanWalloch

You can't be serious can you....!?!As a member easily stated....just try it..whats the worst that can happen you roll 50ft in a game on your pc and you remain totally safe and out of harms way sitting on your desk chair. Every airplane, in today's world, is to increase a power, prop or mixture setting you push forward and to reduce you pull back.

Guest camtech

Gentleman thank you for your expertize, im just a sim pilot getting ready to do some real flying and im setting up my cockpit .And i read you loud and clear you upon start up pull the throttle out fully, then push in about one forth, and mixure you leave in all the way for start up and adjust accordingly while in flight.Thank you............................Robert

>And i read you loud and clear you upon start up pull the>throttle out fully, then push in about one forth, and mixure>you leave in all the way for start up and adjust accordingly>while in flight.>And to farther confuse you, if the POH say's full rich (mixture) for landing, don't always count on that; as at higher altitude airports, you'll loose precious power in case of a go-around! Some revised POH's might say, lean as nessessary. At our 4600' msl, we start the engine & lean immediately. Then re-adjust before takeoff.