Sign in to follow this  
Tomaz Drnovsek

Elevator trim accelerates if being held

If you don't like to tap tap tap the trim button on your yoke and want a normal way to use the trim, go vote:

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/elevator-trim-accelerates-if-being-held/375935

BTW, in P3D I used FSUIPC to solve this trimming issue. Is the same possible in MSFS? I'll go buy FSUIPC just for this if it works.
I just don't get it, why is it so incredibly hard to make the trim function linear? Now, if you hold it for two seconds it accelerates like crazy. The only way is to tap it slowly but that's not the right way to do it. On the other hand I need to rotate that altitude knob forever to set 30000 feet. Makes sense.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Thank you so much for posting this...much needed and hopefully not a complex fix. Ridiculous way it's designed in sim (see the OP's link for nice breakdown and to upvote!)

• Like 1

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

This was 'fixed' in the alpha at least once lol.  I had not noticed its return but then again I use a Gladiator MKII and even with it fixed I have a difficult time dialing in trim using a modifier and the hat :0.  It just isn't very natural and I have not found a better way to map trim to this quality but limited input device.

The buggy trim is something I've gotten used to unfortunately.

Always having to double take a glance at the trim digital display on certain planes to make sure its even working...than wham you get more trim than you can chew.

The Icon A5 is very bad at it.

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

I remember this was a real issue with some A2A aircraft, and some used FSUIPC to rig a way to get the trim to work in a linear fashion. I think the problem orginated from the FS9 trim behavior. A2A  came out with a config program and sing hat you could get the trim to work in a linear manner, I just use trim up and down in MSFS 2020 and it seems to work OK, although to be honest, I haven't watched the trim wheel to see how it is moving, I generally give the trim a quick press in the direction I want it to go and it seems to work OK for the Mooney and the Arrow 3 and the C 172,-152 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I just don’t understand how anyone with even a cursory understanding of how trim works would deliberately program it in a step-wise fashion. How could this not have been flagged and changed? Trim is something used regularly in every single flight, particularly in GA flying / off autopilot flying. 

This is the kind of thing that really bothers me about the dev pathways. How are contrails a higher priority than getting basic flight control sensitivities and basic inertial feel right? 

I do love the visuals and started out with lots of enthusiasm but with each update I am feeling like it is going to be a long way off before this sim mechanics will accurately capture the experience of flying. 

I do like flying the sim for the geographic parts and some aircraft are not too bad with handling but I feel like I have to overlook rather glaring problems every flight. Sigh 😔 

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

9 hours ago, Bobsk8 said:

I remember this was a real issue with some A2A aircraft, and some used FSUIPC to rig a way to get the trim to work in a linear fashion. I think the problem orginated from the FS9 trim behavior. A2A  came out with a config program and sing hat you could get the trim to work in a linear manner, I just use trim up and down in MSFS 2020 and it seems to work OK, although to be honest, I haven't watched the trim wheel to see how it is moving, I generally give the trim a quick press in the direction I want it to go and it seems to work OK for the Mooney and the Arrow 3 and the C 172,-152 

If FSUIPC and A2A were able to solve the issue in previous sims, Asobo should be more than able to do it in MSFS. I'm not talking about making a fundamental core engine change that requires a full code rewrite, just make the trim function linear. That's it. How hard can it be? I mean, as of now it appears impossible 😁

Did anybody try the same approach with FSUIPC as in P3D? Does it work?

• Like 1

I have assigned the trim up/down controls (not the keystrokes) to a rocker switch in FSUIPC.  It works just fine in the 152; I have not tested other a/c yet.

2 minutes ago, jetlag said:

I have assigned the trim up/down controls (not the keystrokes) to a rocker switch in FSUIPC.  It works just fine in the 152; I have not tested other a/c yet.

So, if you hold it, it doesn't accelerates?

4 minutes ago, jetlag said:

I have been using two buttons on my joystick for trim increment up and down for years, never had a problem. Now I have used in in MSfs 2020 on the C 172, Mooney, and Arrow 3. Don't have any problems with it. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

4 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I have been using two buttons on my joystick for trim increment up and down for years, never had a problem. Now I have used in in MSfs 2020 on the C 172, Mooney, and Arrow 3. Don't have any problems with it. 

I don't understand. If you hold it it doesn't accelerates? Or you "don't have any problems" because you just got used to the broken trim logic and you just slowly tap it to trim?

Even A2A made a fix because this IS the problem in FSX, P3D and now MSFS. There is also FSUIPC workaround for the same reason.

Edited by Tomaz Drnovsek

1 minute ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

I don't understand. If you hold it it doesn't accelerates? Or you "don't have any problems" because you just got used to the broken trim logic and you just slowly tap it to trim?

In a real aircraft or on a sim, I never find it necessary to "hold trim". One or two clicks up and down is usually all that is necessary to trim the aircraft out. I have flown about 1/2 dozen GA in real life planes, and a B 767-400 motion sim at an airline training facility, and they were all pretty much the same as far as trim goes.  

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

In a real aircraft or on a sim, I never find it necessary to "hold trim". One or two clicks up and down is usually all that is necessary to trim the aircraft out. I have flown about 1/2 dozen GA in real life planes, and a B 767-400 motion sim at an airline training facility, and they were all pretty much the same as far as trim goes.  

Well, good for you.

I would prefer it to work as it works in real life. That's all.

1 minute ago, Tomaz Drnovsek said:

Well, good for you.

I would prefer it to work as it works in real life. That's all.

Like I said, I have about 600 hours real life flying, and that has been my experience.