Sign in to follow this  
ARCO

Reality XP updates trigger CTD when simulator is running

I have had this problem for quite a while now: I have a dedicated computer for my simulators, meaning that the only times I use it is when I "fly"...

Unfortunately, systematically, whenever Reality XP pushes an update, my simulator(s) in use would CTD. I must add that since I did not fly P3D for a while now, I did not update my RXP and as a result of my own negligence, your system thinks that I should be reminded... This morning again my flight was interrupted (CTD) mid-way because of the RXP update notification.

Is there another way for me to be notified without triggering this onscreen alert that would in turn CTD my flights on future updates?

Thank you for any assistance, and I do hope to see your great products available in MSFS whenever the SDK will allow you.

Edited by Jean-Claude

Hi,

Thank you for your kind words and support!

I have no clue why a window displaying would CTD the simulator in use?! These are just Windows window which Windows is displaying itself?!

Nevertheless, you can disable automatic update notifications in running the RXP software installer and in deselecting "Subscribe to automatic update". Another way is to open the Windows Task Scheduler and disabling the Reality XP tasks (or changing their frequencies/time).

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

Thank you, I shall try that.

Enjoy a great week-end!

J-C

For the sake of giving you some background information, here is another CTD report of MSFS after the update notification came up on the screen this morning (I had not yet changed the parameters regarding the updates as you suggested), it is interesting to note that those notifications ALWAYS appear after several hours of flight, in the last two cases, my CTD happened when I was landing... after four and a half hours:

Description

Faulting Application Path:            C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\FlightSimulator.exe

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:   MoAppCrash

Package Full Name:        Microsoft.FlightSimulator_1.14.5.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe

Application Name:          praid:App

Application Version:       0.0.0.0

Application Timestamp:               6040b793

Fault Module Name:      FlightSimulator.exe

Fault Module Version:   0.0.0.0

Fault Module Timestamp:           6040b793

Exception Code:               c0000005

Exception Offset:            0000000000184440

Version du système:      10.0.19042.2.0.0.768.101

Identificateur de paramètres régionaux:              4108

Additional Information 1:             5135

Additional Information 2:             51350ab6130b288b6aa4930fa0c019ef

Additional Information 3:             4802

Additional Information 4:             48022ac0cf4c45b58b24a6a960c8a405

Extra information about the problem

Bucket ID:           f20bbffecafff05600deec8b768760bb (1215669033169805499)

This is for your information only, I removed the "subscription to updates" but will now struggle to know when there is one!

Edited by Jean-Claude

Thank you for sharing this!

I didn't know from your post it was FS2020... Is this a new problem since FS2020 v1.14.5?

You might want to submit this to Zendesk because honestly, there is nothing special in running a Win10 task which is launching a piece of code, which is opening a window and connecting to the internet to retrieve an update xml file?!

Nevertheless, you can subscribe to the "product releases" topics pinned at the top of their respective RXP forums and you'll receive avsim notifications when I update the posts. You might want otherwise to change the time and/or frequency of the Win10 RXP tasks to better suit your computer use schedule?

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Many thanks for your prompt reply. I shall do as suggested. By the way this problem has been there for the past many months and I had similar CTD with P3D as well... So it is not related to MSFS but now appears to be a Windows issue, and since I am alone to "enjoy" it, I better find a way around as I dont think Microsoft will be terribly motivated.

Again many thanks for your kind assistance.

• Like 1

I keep getting a GTN Update notification at random times. Just now it popped up in the middle of an approach and crashed FSX-SE. NOT happy about it. I clicked on install a couple of times when it popped up and it did nothing. 

I was just last month through a week of confusion trying to get my GTN functional again after a Windows Defender update which quarenteened the DLL32 and I got that corrected and my GTN is now functional on all aircraft I installed it in including the Carenado PC-12 I just bought, 

Unfortunatley, I didn't write down the version or other details to share. I will update this post with that next time it happens.

@Gary1124 I've moved your post to the topic which was right below and dealing about the same subject matter! Solutions are posted here already.

Update 2.5.28 posted in February. If FSX is running it causes CTD. If I click to download it says Already Exists. Do You Want to Redownload.

How does this work. Must I go into the RXP folders to find and run the exe? I'm not an IT guy. Need a little more coaching or better yet, automated

Thanks

@Gary1124 The software update notification popup is allowing you downloading the latest installer in a .zip archive. Should you have already downloaded one in the past, it will prompt you it already exists because the file name doesn't change. Once you've downloaded the latest one, you just have to go to the location it was downloaded to, and then unzip the .zip file (double-click the file in Win10 should suffice). This will unzip the software installer .exe, which you can then run (double click again) to install.