Sign in to follow this  
Simicro

FlyTampa - Tampa Rebooted fps hit

@Ray Proudfoot Ray, weren't you a strong advocate of P3Dv4.5 until recently? 4.5 was even in your signature until yesterday or so! Just kidding you since everyone is entitled to change his opinion 😁 I have already tried V5 but ended uninstalling it for the following reasons: (i) I have not personally noticed on my particular PC a significant improvement in graphics and fps. (ii)  Also I got some blurries in the 737 NGXu that I could not really solve with the PMDG support. So at this time I'm staying on 4.5 and will retry V5 in the next versions and maybe revise my position accordingly. 

- TONY -

@Simicro, Tony, I was but then I was reading so many different reports of a significant fps boost with v5.1. From people I know and trust. That convinced me.

The only downside to v5 has been the darker VC. I've managed to improve it a bit by turning off HDR but it persists. I haven't noticed the blurries on the Verts DA62 or Xtreme Prototypes Lear 25. I haven't bought the NGXu yet but will check their forums.

You don't list your kit or resolution. I'm surprised you haven't seen an upturn in fps. Whilst I lock mine at 30 I can get more AIG Ai into the sim now proving there is a performance boost.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have one 2K monitor. I realize I am in the minority that do not notice an upturn in fps. But as you know every system is different. So I'll try again one of the next version of P3Dv5 and see how it goes. Thanks.

- TONY -

@Simicro, Tony, so that’s 2560*1440 is it? And what about your CPU, GPU and RAM?

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@Ray Proudfoot

Yes Ray. 2K is indeed 2560*1440. I gave my systems specs on the previous page 😉 i5 4670K @4.3 Ghz - 32 Gb DDR3 - GTX 1080 8 Gb

- TONY -

@Simicro, sorry Tony, it’s been a mad week. Do you have a busy airport like Heathrow and with lots of Ai like the AIG package? That’s where I noticed the benefit of v5.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

@Ray Proudfoot No problem Ray. You had a mad week and additionnaly you are moderator so you monitor many threads. I can easily imagine that sometimes the brain can mess up. I got Simwings Heathrow 2 years ago and it had a huge framerate impact so I did not reinstall it on my P3Dv4 . However I will try again the next time I install P3Dv5. Thx for the tip. Meanwhile I'll enjoy v4.5 🙂 Otherwise my AI trafic is always OFF as a personal preference.

- TONY -

1 hour ago, Simicro said:

. I got Simwings Heathrow 2 years ago and it had a huge framerate impact so I did not reinstall it on my P3Dv4

Hi Tony,

That sounds like the 32-bit version. They released a Pro version designed for 64-bit P3Dv4 which does help fps quite a bit.

All those years when I was younger and I get the mod job when I should be taking it easy! 🤣

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I have the Pro version running in 4.5.

I also run Orbx TE with it and even with AI traffic the FPS is not too terrible. Approaching through clouds is, of course, a killer. Yesterday, I got  around 10-12 fps on approach through the clouds but managed to achieve upwards of 15 fps on the landing itself, which gives an adequately smooth landing when looking forward from the cockpit.

When I move up to 5.1 ( or whatever) that FPS figure ought to improve. 

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

I don't think that 32 or 64 bit scenery is even a thing is it? Sure some versions are compiled for V4 or V5 etc, but it doesn't make them 32 or 64 bit. With aircraft addons sure, they have DLL's and modules that are 64bit, but scenery?

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

3 hours ago, Dave_YVR said:

I don't think that 32 or 64 bit scenery is even a thing is it? Sure some versions are compiled for V4 or V5 etc, but it doesn't make them 32 or 64 bit. With aircraft addons sure, they have DLL's and modules that are 64bit, but scenery?

The scenery was compiled with a 64-bit compiler making it 'faster' for a 64-bit P3D. Given the upgrade price was around 8GBP it was a worthwhile update.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
Additional info

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

5 hours ago, IanHarrison said:

I have the Pro version running in 4.5.

I also run Orbx TE with it and even with AI traffic the FPS is not too terrible. Approaching through clouds is, of course, a killer. Yesterday, I got  around 10-12 fps on approach through the clouds but managed to achieve upwards of 15 fps on the landing itself, which gives an adequately smooth landing when looking forward from the cockpit.

When I move up to 5.1 ( or whatever) that FPS figure ought to improve. 

Are you sure it's the clouds killed your FPS that much?  Can you describe the cloud situation?  There are weather conditions that can be demanding on the GPU, but bringing a GTX 1080 down to 12 fps... ...is not that easy.  I would like to see your graphics settings.

1 hour ago, Afterburner said:

Are you sure it's the clouds killed your FPS that much?  Can you describe the cloud situation?  There are weather conditions that can be demanding on the GPU, but bringing a GTX 1080 down to 12 fps... ...is not that easy.  I would like to see your graphics settings.

It is a combination of Orbx TE and heavy wall to wall clouds. Up to that point flying over the Sahara, I was getting 25-30 easily. Heavy clouds hit the FPS anywhere from 10 to 15 FPS.

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

13 minutes ago, IanHarrison said:

It is a combination of Orbx TE and heavy wall to wall clouds. Up to that point flying over the Sahara, I was getting 25-30 easily. Heavy clouds hit the FPS anywhere from 10 to 15 FPS.

This is not normal. I use a GTX 1660 Super, and even thick clouds don't hit the FPS that much (unless it's an extreme combination of SSAA with sunset). What are your AA settings?  I use 8xMSAA.

2 hours ago, Afterburner said:

This is not normal. I use a GTX 1660 Super, and even thick clouds don't hit the FPS that much (unless it's an extreme combination of SSAA with sunset). What are your AA settings?  I use 8xMSAA.

Sim is at SSAA =4.