Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

"Active Windows Spatial Sound" in the Sound options

My old Corsair headset has given up the ghost and I am browsing the net to find a new one. 

MSFS specs don't refer to anything special like THX or the like but the General panel>Sound line has the option quoted in the topic title. I understand that it is kind of faking a 7.1 environment. Not sure though. Never used it. Does that work and should I keep it mind when buying my new headset for the sim ?

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

That's weird, I did extensive tests re surround sound a couple of months back and I have no recollection of such an option. I will check tonight.

I've tested this over the past two years and with it on it's a guaranteed hard lock 90% of the time with ATI cards.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

The option for spatial sound has been there for a long time.

If you have a Dolby Atmos compatible sound system, activate Dolby Atmos from the Windows speaker settings and activate spatial sound in the sim you get surround sound that includes support for "height" speakers. In a drone view with the drone positioned below a flying aircraft you literally hear the sound as if the aircraft were above you.

• Like 1

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

Just to add that I'm using a modest 5.1.2 home theatre system where the front speakers include upward firing drivers. I can't speak for surround sound on headsets since I don't own one.

One more thing for anyone wanting to try out the surround sound - if you own a Dolby Atmos compatible receiver you need to download the Dolby Access app from the Microsoft store and configure it and your Windows speaker settings for "Dolby Atmos for home theater". The app is free if you have an Atmos receiver - I guess by buying the receiver you've already paid Dolby a licensing fee.

Intel Core i5-12600k, Nvidia RTX 2080 Super, 64 Gigs.

In my experience, this setting only has an affect when in VR mode. With it OFF, in VR the sounds will move from ear to ear as I turn my head around.

The Corsair Void  headphones have support for Windows spatial sound or you can toggle it off in windows and it will revert to Dolby Headphone. Seems to work ok , no crashes here.

Steve 'Slayer' McNitt
Quality Assurance
spacer.png