Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Scenery

Landings

There is a great thread on the official MSFS forum about pitch and yaw stability coefficients where someone found an academic reference for the values on the 172, and the values in the sim are like 5x too high. Basically making everything the tail does way overstated.

This would explain the rubber band effect where the aircraft instantly 'springs back' when rudder is released and also the outsized effect of crosswind, since the aircraft wants to rotate with the wind.

Edited by marsman2020

AMD 3950X | 64GB RAM | AMD 5700XT | CH Fighterstick / Pro Throttle / Pro Pedals

I dont think its our rudder profiles per say...I think as far as crosswinds are concerned that the rudder seems fine...at least while you are in the air. The issue I find is in crosswinds when you are touching the ground and on rollout, either after touchdown or on takeoff roll as you gain speed on ground. When you are on the ground your pedals get crazy sensitive because you have too much authority due to rudder authority on ground + nose wheel steering on ground. You can try to decrease your nose wheel max steering angle in the flight model cfg which will help a bit on high speed landings and takeoffs with wind but if you decrease it too much you wont make taxi turns well enough. So...there's this to check out if you'd really like to get into the nitty gritty and get alot more granular with adjusting things:

Rudder control fix (flightsim.com)

Edited by hangar

1 hour ago, hangar said:

When you are on the ground your pedals get crazy sensitive because you have too much authority due to rudder authority on ground + nose wheel steering on ground.

Well too much authority for small movements (no idea how people with twist sticks control some of the aircraft)  but at maximum rudder there is not enough authority to counter the POH maximum demonstrated crosswind. 

BY the way if you set your devices to be "linear" in the game the actual response if you look at cockpit yoke/pedal and aileron/rudder/elevator surface  movement versus physical yoke/pedal movement is not linear. If you want you yoke to be actually linear for example you have to retard the sensitivity in the centre as the game seems to have accelerated sensitivity in the centre even with "linear" curves.

What is even more interesting is the in cockpit stick/yoke/pedal movements do not always correspond with the external surface deflections.  The most glaring example of this is the aileron movement versus in game stick for the right wing of the P149.

Edited by Glenn Fitzpatrick
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

but at maximum rudder there is not enough authority to counter the POH maximum demonstrated crosswind. 

This is purely dependent upon each specific aircraft and it's associated flight model or also your own personal hardware and their settings. BTW - Carenado's were always infamous for this issue and I do not own any Carenado's in MSFS2020 (and I never will until the flight model is accessible).

I say this (being dependent on specific aircraft and/or hardware settings) because I don't currently have that issue, although for many years in FSX it was a constant issue with most planes I purchased. Nowdays in MSFS2020 I am finally enjoying the ability to perform cross controlled landings pretty well...in fact, I believe in a few cases I am also able to perform them beyond the max demonstrated (which is what you really want and how it should be in reality).

That being said, this is with modified flight model files...it's been so long now since I flew pure vanilla that I really don't remember if I run out of rudder with them or not. I'd have to test it.

21 hours ago, RandallR said:

I don't know if this will be helpful but I use the Thrustmaster T.16000M Joystick and TWCS Throttle system.  A rebuild of my computer with some A-V peripherals for my business forced me to pull my rudder pedals for now (too many cables down there) so I'm forced to use my twist stick for rudder control - not ideal!  Regardless, it's a good stick.  Here are a couple of examples of my settings:

Thanks... I'll have a look at my own again.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |