Sign in to follow this  
Gary1124

Prepar3d on HDD

6 hours ago, Doug47 said:

SSD is the way to go. But I like having a HDD 2nd storage...just in case. 

I install Active Sky on my HDD. It has no need for the speed of SSDs. I also use it for my downloads folder.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I install Active Sky on my HDD. It has no need for the speed of SSDs. I also use it for my downloads folder.

So, Active Sky can be on a different drive than it's connected simulator? I have the Steam version. Never had to manually configure it because Steam automated it all. I know I will need to buy it from Hifi for Prepar3d.

31 minutes ago, Gary1124 said:

So, Active Sky can be on a different drive than it's connected simulator? I have the Steam version. Never had to manually configure it because Steam automated it all. I know I will need to buy it from Hifi for Prepar3d.

I've never had the Steam version so can't comment on that. But the AS installer allows you to install wherever you wish. I know others have installed on a networked PC but don't see the need for that given its very low CPU usage.

My P3D installs are on my SSD D drive and AS on a HDD E drive.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

20 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

You sir are way more advanced in IT than I am. Didn't grow up with it or get any training. Didn't even have a PC until around '98.

First sim was Jane's F-15. Then Jane's F-18:Super Hornet. The carrier ops were cool.  FS2000 was my first regular sim. Flew around the world in the Lear 45. Took a week of sessions.

I think my Asus B450 only has one m.2 socket. It is I read a mid grade budget board.

Well, actually my first Windows PC was in 2002.

And that was because I decided on a career path change from being a mechanic to doing something in I.T.

Bought a lot of books, did a lot of reading, did a lot of rote practical work, started off with a few short term temp roles working up to the role I have today (software R&D, customer support and installations, consulting).

And working in I.T. is my third career change, not saying a change is easy, but sometimes you have to take a risk and othertimes might be because change is forced upon you.

Like the coming of A.I. and advances in robotics.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

3 hours ago, Rogen said:

Well, actually my first Windows PC was in 2002.

And that was because I decided on a career path change from being a mechanic to doing something in I.T.

Bought a lot of books, did a lot of reading, did a lot of rote practical work, started off with a few short term temp roles working up to the role I have today (software R&D, customer support and installations, consulting).

And working in I.T. is my third career change, not saying a change is easy, but sometimes you have to take a risk and othertimes might be because change is forced upon you.

Like the coming of A.I. and advances in robotics.

Cheers

I will Never trust AI vehicles. No no, I drive. Anyway, I to have gone through job fiels changes. Takes a little doing sure. My ham hands would have made computers tough. Cell phone handling is touchy for me.

However, I have decided to add a 500 GB WD Back NVME SSD to use just for flight sims. Will keep P3d and Xplane 11 on it.

My mobo is an Asus B450 Prime M-A. I can install one m.2 SSD. I don't have a retaining screw. I can't even find the hole for the retaining screw. Will I need it considering PC just sits on the desk? Will I have to mess with bios? I plan on the WD Black 750 model. Best Buy between home and work has them.

Thanks.

21 hours ago, Gary1124 said:

However, I have decided to add a 500 GB WD Back NVME SSD to use just for flight sims. Will keep P3d and Xplane 11 on it.

My mobo is an Asus B450 Prime M-A. I can install one m.2 SSD. I don't have a retaining screw. I can't even find the hole for the retaining screw. Will I need it considering PC just sits on the desk? Will I have to mess with bios? I plan on the WD Black 750 model. Best Buy between home and work has them.

If you could afford it I'd go for a bigger drive e.g. a 1 TB, just because experience has taught me it is so easy to fill drives up with stuff.

And because the motherboard supports only a single M.2 drive.

But otherwise looking at the ASUS motherboard pics there is a row of what looks like screw posts for the various different lengths of the various types of M.2 drives.

And there is a bios update.

And the manuals cover pretty much all.

I typicaly download chipset drivers from AMD directly.

Cheers R

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

On 5/17/2021 at 3:27 AM, Gary1124 said:

I will Never trust AI vehicles. No no, I drive. Anyway, I to have gone through job fiels changes. Takes a little doing sure. My ham hands would have made computers tough. Cell phone handling is touchy for me.

Thanks.

You absolutely need the retaining screw. Far too easy for it to shake loose otherwise. If you've lost the one that came with your MB, sometimes the NVMe drive comes with a screw in the kit; if not, you can order a pack from Amazon for not much. Don't be tempted to use screws that look like they might fit - these are different from regular case screws. 

The screw points for your MB are on the picture below - they are the four circular objects above the logo 'PRIME 8450M-A'. Use the one that fits the length of the NVMe card.

PRIME B450M-A|Motherboards|ASUS Global

• Upvote 1

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT