Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hal9000 from MSFT

My FSX thoughts and a small bug

Hi,I hope ACES guys read this as I have a small bug to report first... I decided to fly from Port Angeles, Washington ( just round the corner from the ACES studio I guess ) to Victoria, BC.... so I choose Washington state and find Port Angeles in the drop down list but no airports come up.... I guess that's a bug.Anyway, today I was experimenting with the 2 sims FS9 and FSX - first I took the PMDG 744F out for a spin around Europe in FS9 ( with all the goodies- GEpro, ASV6, Ultimate Terrain etc )and later I took the Realair SF260 for the above spin in FSX -CYYJ to KCLM...You know what... I had a far better experience in FSX! My frames were locked at 20 and didn't move and the whole thing was smoother. Graphicly they were similar ( basic FSX v enhanced FS9 )and yes I am aware that the 744 is far more taxing on the system than the SF260 but once we get the patches from ACES, the reduced size clouds and various other performance enhancements that I am sure are in the works, I am confident we are in for a bright future!Another thing.. I like the idea that this new ACES Train Simulator is going to be using the FSX engine.. that means ( from my point of view ) we have double the talent working on improving it both visually and performance wise. Paul

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Paul -I just checked in FSX, and ... you're absolutely right! We have the Port Angeles airport listed properly if you type it in and search by city, but, when you select it via the list at the bottom, nothing. I'll make sure we get a bug report entered. Good find!

Granted I'm not running a retail released FSX here but a locally built FSX including the Japanese localization mods (which should only effect localization items like enabling the IME on input fields, etc), and I get 4 airports listed when selecting the following filters:Country: USAState: WACity: Port AngelesAnd these are the 4 airports listed:Big Andy (7WA0)Fairchild Intl (KCLM)Lawson Airpark (WN21)Port Angeles Cgas (KNOW)Weird.

[FSX Deluxe]I think I'm seeing this little problem too. Wow what a find.I select the following filters:Country: USAState: WACity: Port Angelesand get no airports in the list.On the other hand...If I select:Country: USAState: WACity: Port Orchard...I get Port Orchard (4WA9) and Vaughan Ranch Airfield (WN13). Which is ok.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2310 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2 GB Corsair XMS 2.5-3-3-8 (1T), WD 250 gig 7200 rpm SATA2, CoolerMaster Praetorian case

Another small but annoying bug: Montreal Pierre-Elliott-Trudeau Int'l (CYUL), in the FSX airport browser looks like "Montreal/Pierre-Elliott-Trudea" - missing the "u" at the end.