Sign in to follow this  
Tim_Capps

Just Flight BAC One Eleven Pitch Problem

9 hours ago, Tim_Capps said:

At one time I had quite a few McPhat paint jobs...

One of my disappointments is that the McPhat paints are no longer available. There isn't a Continental DC9 repaint anywhere, other than in an old McPhat package.

Edited by Bryn

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

1 hour ago, Bryn said:

One of my disappointments is that the McPhat paints are no longer available. There isn't a Continental DC9 repaint anywhere, other than in an old McPhat package

Third-party add-ons are on the decline in P3D across the board, so I think we should get used to having less stuff. There's only so much oxygen in the room and I think there's the factor that the average age of P3D users is much higher than of MSFS users (or so I suspect). There doesn't seem to be the repaints and mods output as of yore.

Tim - so true as usual MS have muscled into the market and busted it again. I am not surprised they have'nt  tried to shutdown P3D contractually - except it would be one gorilla against another!. I do know from other forums that quite a few very talented non professional modellers have now stopped doing anything at all. Does that matter all that much, depends, for example the M Jahn C-47 looks and works superbly and has been given a kick along with others doing PBR textures etc. 

I am very impressed with P3D it has got better and better and is a proper sim and it is designed that way. Graphically it may not quite have the eye catching details in some areas that MSFS has but for the environment it is very good given you can manipulate so much of the settings etc just as you would expect from a simulator. 7 times out of 10 if you look at various screenshots around the place I cannot tell the difference. I class MSFS as a game, I tried it and decided maybe but not for ten years by that stage the oldies like me will have given up on the sim so I guess people will be ripping around in Millenium Falcons in MSFS.

I think the fact that it has been possible to move across so much older sim versions (with modifications) into this sim is more than significant. I have all my old fleet now in P3D with the exception of the 707. I can live without it as I have the full Douglas range now from the DC-3 right through to the DC-10. Pistons all of them as well and I am constantly surprised how good they look in this sim with the lighting shading etc and how well they fly. 

Back to the DC-9 I am now going to spend a lot of time with this one. I have been over at forums for real world pilots and found an old thread on the DC-9 there were hundreds upon hundreds of stories, pictures etc - the unanimous verdict - best aeroplane they ever flew, a real rocket and dependable and a pleasure, not easy but a very good design with great ideas and systems to boot. The affection for this aeroplane was amazing and there were a lot of 737 drivers there as well who said the 737 was a dog compared to the DC-9. One engine out or both going climbed like a steam train, went really fast and this I have yet to try this but I will, you could arrive at a 5 mile final at 300 knots, slow it down and configure it and drop it onto the piano keys at correct speed and flaps settings. All manageable and no fuss! The ex BAC 111 drivers were a revelation they said the best thing ever happened to them out of the 111 into the 9 so on that basis the consensus is clear this was an amazing aeroplane and the model is too! The 111 will stay in the hangar. Time to really get to know the pocket rocket from Douglas!

Edited by coastaldriver
grammatical corrections
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, coastaldriver said:

Graphically it may not quite have the eye catching details in some areas that MSFS has but for the environment it is very good given you can manipulate so much of the settings etc just as you would expect from a simulator.

This is very much true. Because of the fact that (as of now) MSFS doesn't support compiled dlls, developers have to use JavaScript as of now, and each WASM module only runs on a single thread. So while the simulator itself is multithreaded, it's impossible to code gauges as the module itself runs only on a single thread, whilst other simulators out there can run multithreaded gauges. Certain security features are also not implemented, making secure SSL/TLS channels for shared cockpit impossible securely. And minor things like packing gauge files are simply impossible since I don't think any of the big packers out there (Themida, Enigma, VMP, UPX, etc) support packing WASM files. Even things as simple as read/write access to folders is impossible (meaning you can't read or write to folders that is NOT the ./work folder in %appdata%); so things like reading autosave files and then writing to panel config files are more disorganized now. I'm "assuming" all these things will be "fixed" though I wish they spent more time enhancing the development features than to release the simulator without any. 

• Like 1

arwasairl - Spot on. This topic is probably OFT now. I have a simple view of this - they will not fix it to make it integrate with other platforms and external add on software and the reason is simple - this is a program for X-Box and Gamers this is not a simulator. I don't even consider the program to be a Flight Simulator. I think it is very smart and graphically very good but those are the boundaries of the program and that is where it will stay. There is a big difference between loading 3d models and flash textures to a dynamic variable multiplayer simulator environment. People need to get their head around this and understand that P3D, MSFS and X-Plane are now three different programs. 

There is a lot of criticism of P3D which fails to take into account that most users are 'hobbyists' not serious sim users. I know because I have seen its use in a real training environment where the interplay and interconnectivity between a desk PC, a Full motion 3D sim and a high speed turbine trainer all work. I can program a scenario in the sim on the ground, the student can practise it and then you can take it out on a card and drop it into the aircraft EFIS system. That is the functionality that P3D strives for they are just dragging the graphics for on ground training into being the best that is possible. I am grateful that it is available to me as a professional and pseudo hobbyist! It will get better and better. 

• Upvote 1

Well, speaking of P3Dv5 classics, I now have a heavily modded CS 737-200 in 5.1 (thanks to the Russian AVSIM library). Better than ever. So, I have a fairly good collection of antiques and more modern Boeings thanks to Captain Sim and Coolsky/Flight1. I think a lot of stuff didn’t make it across the v4-v5 divide. I bought MSFS but it just isn’t to my taste, no matter what gets developed for it. I’ll stick with P3Dv5.1 because it feels familiar, has enough add-ons already, and I like it just fine is it is right now. 

On 6/23/2021 at 1:04 PM, Tim_Capps said:

Thanks CD. I figured as much and you were on the (very) short list of people I thought might comment. I did get to practice a 90 degree roll to recover from uncommanded pitch up! Oh well, it’s an interesting bit of aviation history. (Who knew American Airlines flew One Elevens? “ASTROJET” lol) I’ll try out the different models to see if there’s one that works. Also I was fairly heavy—maybe it’s overly sensitive to that. (Above 20,000 feet it really struggled to climb and I never made it to 280.) I could swear I got through the tutorial without the problem to this degree. But I’m not spending too much time on it. It was a lark due to my fascination with Court Line.

Hey, you ever manage to find a Court Line livery for it?

On 4/6/2022 at 5:12 AM, Gimala said:

Hey, you ever manage to find a Court Line livery for it?

Yes, in a rainbow of fresh fruit colors. I don't think the artist posted them, but I'll reach out and see if and how he's willing to share. I'd put them up on Google Drive and send  you a link but since they were provided privately I want to respect his wishes. They're fun and fly well enough--empty at least, but I think a good turboprop is faster.

• Like 1