Sign in to follow this  
mtr75

Question for real-world pilots…

I have a problem, and it’s time I’m honest with myself about it. Looking for others’ thoughts here. I’m a private pilot, probably 85% of the way to getting my Instrument, with dreams of commercial and flying cargo or passengers in the Caribbean some day. I’m 45, very steady, good job. I enjoy flying but it does make me apprehensive at times. I consider myself to be a very competent pilot. 

My problem is this: I love simming. And I’m starting to think that it may just fill my flying need. 100LL and Jet-A in the sim are the same price, $0. Planes are cheap, too. Hourly rentals are low, no maintenance. (Being sarcastic here). In real life I have access to two wonderful club planes, a 150 and a Cherokee 180. Both incredibly well-maintained and very inexpensive. Great club, well run. And I just don’t feel like going to the airport. Simming? Sign me up. But I’m sitting here right now, work is over, I could hop in the car and go to the airport for an evening flight (it’s 6 PM here) and I just don’t feel like it. 

The economic burden of flying isn’t that big a deal. And I could fly a whole lot more than I do. I think maybe it’s the training blues. Focusing your flying on a rating isn’t exactly a blast, and it can get repetitive, as opposed to day trips and going to interesting airports. Yet I’m this freaking close to my IR. 

Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Where you literally start to wonder, maybe simming is enough for me?

I don’t know. I love the challenge of actual flight. For those of you that do it, you know it’s just different from simming. 

Wondering what y’all think. 

Edited by mtr75

My days of the 100.00 hamburger are long gone. Just the insurance for a Bell 47 with three owners is over 16000.00 per year. Fuel is 5.00 a gallon, Annuals are through the roof. Im sad to say I gave it up several years ago.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

I understand you so well, as I had a very similar experience. I am holding a PPL and had ratings for low-performance SEP, gliders, motor gliders and glider towing. And I never gave up simulator flying. But RW flying is not only costly but also very time-consuming. And I lost three of my pilot friends through accidents with their planes …

I finally gave up RW flying and purchased a VR headset. For the first time in my flightsim „career“ I felt myself in a real airplane rather than in front of a flat screen. This was the game-changer and I never looked back. Now, I enjoy taking off from any small airfield or big airport in the world and enjoy flying with the same rules, checklists and visual impressions as in the RW … at any day of the time, season or weather.

Felix

Yes. i can totally relate to this. as I am currently in pursuit of aerobatics license. But it is not the same enthusiasm as basic training. So many lessons cancelled due to low deck... It is hard to always be 100% motivated.

Maybe take a break for awhile? 

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |