30 minutes ago, micstatic said:

My question is more along the lines of any cons to turning it on when it is currently off.  

Well one, is that if you turn it on and your boot drive is formatted with the standard MBR, then your system will no longer see it and will not boot.

Turning on TPM requires your Computer to be using UEFI and for your hard drive to be GPT.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

26 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

Well one, is that if you turn it on and your boot drive is formatted with the standard MBR, then your system will no longer see it and will not boot.

Turning on TPM requires your Computer to be using UEFI and for your hard drive to be GPT.

confirmed am using UEFI and GPT

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

24 minutes ago, micstatic said:

confirmed am using UEFI and GPT

Then theoretically, you should have no issues with windows11 assuming you have at least an eigth generation intel cpu. Not sure what the amd cpu requirement is.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Win 11 is targeted at the enterprise as its main selling point is better security. It won't run on a large number of installed Windows PCs, so its adoption period will be prolonged, especially considering the ongoing chip shortage.

Microsoft still has time to change its stance on PCs that are four years old plus. It has said that the hardware requirements could only be a soft floor where Win 11 will run but its use is not advised.

• Like 1

11:37 in video. This former Microsoft security expert doesn't think W11 will go live with the requirement for Secure Boot and TPM on, mandatory.

• Like 2

It will be ok to let us choose, yes.

I will keep TPM disabled for now. I converted all my partitions to GPT, but the Windows partition was already GPT. The tool gave an warning because not all of them were GPT. 

But I am not sure if I want to be an early adopter :), probably not.

Valentin Rusu

AMD Ryzen 5900x OC, EVGA RTX 3080 Ti FTW3, DDR4 32GB @3200MHz, Samsung 840 PRO Raid for Win 10 Pro, Samsung 960 PR0 512GB NVMe SSD