Sign in to follow this  
petz_e

How could I have handeled this situation better?

Hi,

I'm still learning. While I know that P2A is mostly for IFR flights, I use it pretty often for VFR too. Basic class D to class D airfield with or without flight following works pretty well. However, when dealing with approach controllers, crazy things happen, even when I shadow guys on YouTube, as for example Mike Fletcher.

This is a transcript of my latest VFR flight from KASH to KBOS. Can somebody give me some hints at what went wrong in my communication?

(+): Me, (-): ATC

+ NASHUA Ground N4131C;
- N4131C This is Ground go ahead.
+ N4131C Request Taxi;  for V F R Departure A SOS [to the south];
- N4131C Taxi to Runway Three Two Via taxiways Alpha,  Hold Short Runway Three Two Contact Tower on One Three Three Point Two
+ Tower on One Three Three Point Two N4131C;

=> Is that usual procedure they give me taxi instructions and tower freq. in one sentence? The ground controller is pretty persistent too. If I don't switch to tower immediately, he keeps reminding me what the tower freq. is.

+ NASHUA Tower N4131C Ready for Departure Runway Three Two;
- N4131C Advise when ready for departure. <= Oookay? But then immediately...
- N4131C Squawk One Two Zero Zero Altimeter Two Niner Eight Seven Whinds are calm  Cleared for takeoff, Runway Three Two
+ Cleared for takeoff Runway Three Two N4131C ;

- N4131C have a good one , frequency change approved.
+ Frequency Change Approved for N4131C ;
- N4131C. Frequency change approved. Report when back on Frequency <= Ok, I got it the first time. So, no readback needed?

+ BOSTON Approach N4131C ;
- N4131C This is Approach go ahead.
+ BOSTON Approach N4131C standby Yes NORFOLK;  Two Thousand Eighty Local Destination of N Bravo S Yes;

Let's try this again 🙂
+ N4131C Ten Miles North At Two Thousand Feet request permission to enter Bravo airspace;
- N4131C Clear to enter MASSPORT Bravo airspace
+ cleared to Bravo airspace for N4131C ;
- N4131C You have not been given clearance yet. <= Really? Ok, but I keep going.

+ Approach N4131C Is At One Thousand Eight Hundred Feet Inbound for VFR Pattern entry Runway Three Three Right;
- N4131C Squawk One Two Zero Zero Expect runway Three Three Left

=> I've asked for the smaller runway, but I guess 33L is in use for incoming traffic. So I try to request 33R.

+ N4131C Request Arrival Runway Three Three Right;
- N4131C Arrival on runway Three Three Right is approved. Enter a Right hand pattern for landing runway Three Three Right
+ Wilco  N4131C

=> Looks like it worked, however a few seconds later I get this:

- N4131C Expect landing runway Three Three Left at LOGAN  INTERNATIONAL .

=> No handoff to tower, so I request the switch. But I am already over the field.

+ N4131C has field in sight

=> After that I get handed over to tower. I report in and tower gives me landing instructions to runway 33L, not right.

I did file a VFR flight plan for this flight. So basically two major things went wrong. I got some mixed messages when requesting the bravo clearance and the change of runway did not work. Should I have used the force pilot runway selection in the options?

Edited by petz_e
  • Like 1

You were likely switched to Tower as part of the Taxi clearance because you started very close to the takeoff position for the runway.  That would be normal.

When taking off VFR, without flight following, you are going Tower to Tower.  The departure tower will tell you frequency changed approved, at which time you can switch to any frequency you like.  ATC is no longer working with you.

When you get about 10 NM from the destination field, you call up tower and say something like "<CallSign> is 10 miles West for landing".  IF you want a specific runway and have not set it in your flight plan, you can request it verbally as   "<CallSign> is 10 miles West for landing Runway 33 Right".  If you have "Force Pilot Runway Selection" checked in Config, then you should get the desired runway.  But the better way to do it is to set the desired runway in the flight plan.

P2A does not currently "control" Bravo airspace.  It does recognize the request and gives permission to enter, but it doesn't then start controlling you.

You'll notice in Mike's video he uses the common real world tactic of arriving underneath the Bravo airspace so you don't have to actually enter it.

Dave 

• Like 1