Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Strange update logic

Today is the day of a major update. I have the Steam edition and I have 40 GB to download. Not that much with a fast fiber connection, but even with a good bandwidth, it is extremely slow (approx 10 GB per hour, with many "please wait..." messages during the download.

The strangest aspect is the difference between my son and I. My son bought the Microsoft Store edition yesterday, and today he has 124 GB to download. I can't explain this difference between 40 GB for me and 124 GB for him, is it because I bought on Steam and he bought on Microsoft Store? It would be very amazing... Anyway, his Internet connection is not a s fast as mine so I think he will need several days for his update 😞

Even worse: when he launches MSFS and the update begins, his GPU is busy at 97%, the fans turn at high speed and the PC is noisy. Why does the update cause such a GPU consumption? I can't explain...

If you have any info to help answering these questions, I would be glad to know.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Today is the day of a major update. I have the Steam edition and I have 40 GB to download. Not that much with a fast fiber connection, but even with a good bandwidth, it is extremely slow (approx 10 GB per hour, with many "please wait..." messages during the download.

The strangest aspect is the difference between my son and I. My son bought the Microsoft Store edition yesterday, and today he has 124 GB to download. I can't explain this difference between 40 GB for me and 124 GB for him, is it because I bought on Steam and he bought on Microsoft Store? It would be very amazing... Anyway, his Internet connection is not a s fast as mine so I think he will need several days for his update 😞

Even worse: when he launches MSFS and the update begins, his GPU is busy at 97%, the fans turn at high speed and the PC is noisy. Why does the update cause such a GPU consumption? I can't explain...

If you have any info to help answering these questions, I would be glad to know.

Thanks.

If that were me, I would reboot PC and start all over again. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

40 gb is the update and 128 the full sim, i see nothing weird there.

16 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Thanks.

as his fps will be over 100 in the menu, so his gpu is working hard  use a fps limiter

• Upvote 1

Recently some Amazon game was killing GPUs by going 100% on the menu with no frame limits 

• Upvote 1

FSX | DCS | X-Plane 11 | MSFS 2020 | IL2:BoX

Favorite aircraft currently: MSFS Savage Cub

14 hours ago, wim123 said:

40 gb is the update and 128 the full sim, i see nothing weird there.

Why would he have to download the whole sim? He had the sim working, an update comes so he should have only the 40 GB update to download, like I did.
I don't understand why he has to re-download the whole sim, that's it.

14 hours ago, FSUK_86 said:

as his fps will be over 100 in the menu, so his gpu is working hard  use a fps limiter

I checked again with him. I am 100% sure the GPU increase is because of MSFS, which just displays the opening image and the update progress bar, it should need so much GPU for this...
What is strange is that the FPS counter is displayed and shows 599 FPS !! We have na possibility to limit the FPS or reactivate the VSync because we have no access to the MSFS options, we are blocked on the update page.

I can accept he has to redownload the whole sim, it will take hours but that's OK, but I can't accept it takes so much GPU for such a task. The PC is noisy and consumes electricity for nothing... I think we will uninstall the sim and fully re-install it.

Thanks for your help.