Sign in to follow this  
Rocky

Looking around and flying at the same time

I am quite happy about the latest update, it showed a good perf improvement.

The problem that appeared and that I dound irritating is about the ability to look around and control the aircraft at the same time. I don't have VR, so I fly with the stick in the left hand and I use the mouse (with the right button) in my right hand to look around. This was OK until the update 5. Now when I click the right-mouse button and look around with the mouse, the stick does not control the aircraft until I release the button. It was not like this before the update, I could do both at the same time.

I can live with it, but if some of you have a solution to solve this problem, I would be happy to hear about it :)

Thanks.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, 6297J said:

You don't have a hat switch on your stick? 

that doesn't really solve the problem, for example, if you use the right mouse button to pan and zoom in on a panel to operate some switches, this inhibits the control surfaces, so if you are halfway around a curved taxiway and you go to adjust a panel switch, your aeroplane will no longer follow the curve even though your wheel or rudder is deflected by your controller. Try it, you will find that you can do things such as throttle up when looking around, and your engine RPM will not increase even though your hardware throttle lever is forward to the stops, so you have to then roll it back and then push it up again to get the throttle back to normal travel calibration. They need to fix this. As the OP says, you can work around it, but it is a bit cack to have to do that.

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Ah ok, I use the hat switch to look and the mouse to operate switches. I thought everybody did that. 

Same issue here ... it makes VFR flying (looking around for airfields etc) really tricky. Hoping they fix this soon!

Absolutely annoying. I can live with CTDs for a while and some visual problems while they try to do something "worth it" (like perfomance gain), but these undocumented unnecessary changes like this one, they are just offending. It's not even close to being the first time they do something like that, either.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Fiorentoni said:

Absolutely annoying. I can live with CTDs for a while and some visual problems while they try to do something "worth it" (like perfomance gain), but these undocumented unnecessary changes like this one, they are just offending. It's not even close to being the first time they do something like that, either.

Agreed. I guess they did this because of the Xbox compatibility, it's pain...

Anyway, I am happy to see I am not the only one annoyed with this change. I will post it on Zendesk, who knows, maybe they will take it into account.

42 minutes ago, Rocky said:

The problem that appeared and that I dound irritating is about the ability to look around and control the aircraft at the same time. 

Thanks.

The first thing I would do is to check in the controls options panel the mouse assignments. 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I found a workaround that looks very acceptable. As I am getting used to it, I even wonder if it is not even better than before 🙂

Here it is:
In the mouse control options, I used to use the right mouse button mapped to the "Toggle cockpit view freelook (hold)" command. As it says, "hold" means that I had to keep the right mouse button depressed to be able to look around, which was the source of the problem since the update. So I cleared this input and mapped the right mouse button to the "Toggle cockpit freelook" instead. The difference is that now I click the right mouse button to enter in freelook mode, being able to look around with mouse movements, and I click it again to come back to the "standard" mode that lets me click any button in the cockpit for interaction.

It takes a little time to get used to it but I think it is better because my mouse movements are more accurate now that I don't have to keep my finger pressing the right button. And onbviously, the aircraft is perfectly controllable while I am in freelook mode.

I hope this will be useful for you all 🙂

• Upvote 1