Sign in to follow this  
andywilby

GNS 530W and Windows XP

Could I ask please for confirmation as to whether GNS 530W v2 does or does not run on Windows XP OS?  Page 3 from the v2 manual states not; Reality XP GNS V2 User's Manual (FltSim) (100megabyte.com)  However, a web page for "System Requirements" (GNS 530W XP: System requirements - Reality XP Simulation (reality-xp.com) mentions WIndows XP service pack 2 as being suitable.  Is this LATTER link reffering to v1 maybe....?

Regards,

AW 

Folks, 

Just bumping this posts as no responses as of now....  I am merely seeking clarification on the apparent contradictions of available documentation.  (Before I buy of course!)  So, DOES THE GNS 550W work under Windows XP or NOT?  Thanks in advance....

AW

Edited by andywilby

Hi,

The GNS V2 is not officially supported on WinXP,  but the binaries are supposedly compatible, for now.

We're planning to phasing out completely WinXP support in our code base in the future though. 

NB: the system requirements page you're linking to is about the legacy GNS which is not longer sold.

Edited by RXP

Jean-Luc | reality-xp.com
This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

Let your voice be heard and help us make a difference for you: Vote !
Open up communications with Reality-XP (Microsoft Flight Simulator Forums)

RXP - thanks for that!  I just wasn't entirely sure what I was looking at with that other legacy page.  However, I'm not sure if I have received a "yes" or a "no" to the question of whether v2 works under WinXP!!!  Supposedly...  I do appreciate that you can't be supporting older OS's, naturally I do.  I have fundamental reasons for continuing with XP (too long-winded to go into).  Can I conclude that if I go ahead and purchase, there is still "unofficial" support nonetheless?  (!!!)  Would you be so kind as to confirm that if it turns out not to work on my XP - despite knowing about the lack of "offical" support - that a refund would be offered...?  In which case, I'd be happy enough to give it a shot.

Best regards,

AW

yes to all your questions 🙂

NB: you won't be able to purchase on WinXP using the e-commerce enabled installers directly, but you can use the license transfer procedure.

Edited by RXP

This message from Reality XP is protected by a disclaimer: reality-xp.com/aboutrealityxp/email.html

RXP - Further to the above, I have now purchased.  Licence transfer etc completed successfully.  Installation appeared to succeed.  On right clicking within the FS9 window, I do have the "Reality XP GNS Setup aircraft" dialogue.  However, I get no further.  Nothing happens, no configuration dialogue opens.  Further investigation with FS Panel manager tell me that rxpGNS2.gau is not a valid gauge.  System specs as above (Win XP!!!)  Any thoughts please?  Would you like me to start a new topic on this......

AW

PS:  Log file for what it is worth:03704 - ] # rxpGNS2_menu.dll version 2.4.21.4

PSS: Further edit: The Garmin 530W trainer Lite does not run as a stand-alone program.  The program opens but the power on button has no effect and the unit will not start.

Edited by andywilby

FS Panel Manager won't recognize our gauge as valid because it is expecting a few things which are simply not found in our files (for the tech details: they are expecting gauges to be statically embedding the images). However it is a perfectly valid gauge file from an FS perspective! As for the Trainer, it is also expected that it won't run standalone. This is not a defect with the trainer.

1) Are you using any sort of post-processing tool (ReShade or similar)?

2) Are you running full screen?

If this is the case, what about ALT+ENTER to return to windowed mode, using the popup menu, then ALT+ENTER to return to full screen?

3) Do you have any other modules loaded and running with FS9?

If this is the case, what about moving them all out in another folder to see whether there is a conflict?

Hi RXP.  Thanks for not forgetting me......

1/. No.

2/. ALWAYS run in windowed mode because of the setup I use,  Can't run the sim in full screen I'm afraid.  (TripleHead2Go + a multi monitor setup....)  Id it obligatory to run in full screen then?

3/.  I don't understand this point here?  Modules - yes, like FSUIPC..?  FSPassengers - does that run as a "module.?"

Ta,

AW

22 hours ago, andywilby said:

3/.  I don't understand this point here?  Modules - yes, like FSUIPC..?  FSPassengers - does that run as a "module.?"

I believe he is just trying to help you isolate the issue.  Back off of what you are loading, see what effect that has, then add them back one at a time....

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

@andywilby

Not mandatory to run in full screen, however if you do, it is possible the GUI Panel Assistant window doesn't show as expected or doesn't show at all. It is not something which is happening, only something which could be happening and I'm trying to eliminate most probable culprits first.

As for modules, yes FSUIPC and similar DLL loaded with FS9 are modules. They are usually found in a FS9\MODULES folder. Similarly, I'm suggesting you only load the stock FS9 modules + RXP menu in order to cross check whether the problem might be caused by another module you're using.

Jean-Luc,

Thanks.  I can confirm that I find no conflictions in my MODULES folder, at least as far as I can tell.

Would it be possible to add this gauge by manually editing the panel.cfg file?  Thus bypassing the setup/config utility that is not showing up?  (I am quite happy with this approach - indeed I prefer it often.)  If so, could you give me the gaugeXX string to use?  Don't worry about size or placement - I'll work that out.

AW

RXP,

Will give it a try tomorrow.  Incidentally, I have the legacy 2005 (?) 530 installed in FS9 - which despite it's age I still enjoy.  This is not installed in an a/c into which I am hoping to put the GNS530 by the way.  If it was though, I can just "comment out" that line in the .cfg with "//", right?  Might this be causing the problem somehow?

Regards,

AW

Actually you can make the rxpGNS2 directly working with panels configured with the legacy (sizing apart)*, in making a copy of the rxpGNS2.gau gauge file to rxpGNS.gau. The aliases support in our V2 will pick the legacy gauge name up automatically!

But at this stage if you're comfortable with panel.cfg, it is as easy to just use the new gauge names instead.

--
*for this to fully work with aircraft pre-configured, you might need to also enable the GNS V2 setting "Use Legacy Vars" so that the aircraft picks up the legacy GNS published simvars for interoperability.