Sign in to follow this  
Guest jmendes

Abysmal Perfomance of FSX in Vista

Guest Buck Bolduc

>>>All Nvidia drivers for Vista are BETA. Try some different>>>ones.>>>>>>>>>Allcott>>>>Not true>>I use:>>System>board:Nforce_680a_SLIWinvista32_15.01_english_WHQL.exe>>>>Video:97.46_forceware_winvista_x86_international_WHQL.exe>>>>You do know what WHQL means?>>>>100.59_winvista_32bit_english.exe is a beta driver.>>>>So don't go saying ALL NVidia drivers are beta!>>Regardless if the drivers are certified they are all beta, and>that is giving them a compliment. I have a machine with a>7900gt that is using the 'certified' driver that can't even>run any games because the driver is so bad. ALL of their vista>drivers are crap regardless if they are listed as beta or>certified. Do a little researching on the net and you will>see. They are also being looked at for a class action suit>because of this debacle. I would be running vista now as my>primary OS if it weren't for the state of their drivers *mad*>>>________________________________________________________________________________________________>>Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz>| 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 @ 893Mhz | >Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 575/900 | Seagate 2x 320GB>SATA RAID-0 | >OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW |>Matrox Triplehead SetupTake your problem to MS. They certify the drivers, not NVidia, not you, not Alcott, not me.I dual boot XP and Vista. Vista runs FSX as good or better than XP.Now thats my experience. If you have a problem,fix it.

>>All Nvidia drivers for Vista are BETA. Try some different>>ones.>>>>>>Allcott>>Not true>I use:>System board:Nforce_680a_SLIWinvista32_15.01_english_WHQL.exe>>Video:97.46_forceware_winvista_x86_international_WHQL.exe>>You do know what WHQL means?>Windows Hardware Quality LabsRegards,Vern

I think it's a different story for 8800 and 7-series cards. The 8800 was designed for Vista, and it seems like that's where nVidia is putting their effort right now (note that only the 8800s support SLI so far). In my experience, the XP drivers for the 8800 were very unstable (crashed every 1/2 hour in FSX), so the bar was set low for Vista. The Vista drivers certainly have their issues, but I haven't had a hang or crash playing a game yet. In contrast, the XP 7-series drivers were mature and stable, so the Vista drivers look bad in comparison.I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Vista for 8800 owners, but it looks like the 7-series folks might be better off on XP for a while./Frank

Guest SilverCircle

>The latest driver version 100.64 released on the 13th seems a>vast improvement. I am getting 10 -12 fps flying through>central London useing ultra-high settings in full screen mode.>This may not sound much of an fps but stuttering has>disappeared. That's with an Intel dual core extreme 6800 and>an 8800GTS card.Wow. 10-12 fps on such a machine (basically, you cannot get faster hardware than this).Yeah, right. Vista will cure all the performance problems. How often did we read that in the past? Now, that's what I call a reality check. And yes, I DO know the drivers are still poor and will improve. But even a 100% improvement in driver code performance is not going to do a miracle here.Now waiting for the first post which states that the DX10 update will magically improve anything to a point where FSX can run at 50 fps on a mid-range machine :)

>>Take your problem to MS. They certify the drivers, not NVidia,>not you, not Alcott, not me.>>I dual boot XP and Vista. Vista runs FSX as good or better>than XP.>Now thats my experience. If you have a problem,fix it.> >Microsoft certifies that they will work as designed in vista with the kernel, not that all functionality or performance will be perfect. That is nvidia's job in which they have failed miserably. MS has NOTHING to do with this. Why would you suggest that Microsoft is responsible for the state of nvidia's drivers??? Your entire post makes no sense to me.

Well I was bored today so I popped in a spare drive, unplugged my xp drives and installed vista on my 8800 machine since it was doing me no good on my other machine with the 7900gt. I used the 100.65 driver that is apparently whql certified but as of yet is still unreleased from nvidia. I got the driver from guru3d. Surprisingly the driver has worked fine with no crashes so far but unsurprisingly most games run slower in vista, including fsx. This is pretty much the same behavior I saw on my other machine whenever i could get a game to run. Fsx runs smoother with none of the stutters that I get in winxp but I get terrible blurries, 5 fps less in the same spot as I did in xp and the game CTD'd with an out of memory error. I have never gotten an out of memory error in winxp. The game is configured identically on vista as it is on xp.The blurry textures make the game unplayable and they are either caused by the fact that the game/OS are consuming tremendous quantities of memory or because of the overall beta status of the video drivers (or both). This OS is not gaming-ready regardless of what you read. It's very nice and pretty and smooth, but there are some serious performance issues to work out if a machine of my caliber can't run a flight sim without running out of ram.I am going to install fs9 on it tomorrow and see what I get, but on my other machine I saw about a 50% drop in frame rate in fs9 between xp and vista so I'm not holding my breath.also: many eaglesoft products don't work in fsx/vista so do your research before you buy them if you plan to run this combo. I found this out tonight when my sr20 crashed fsx when I selected it in the airplane choice window. They apparently are not going to support vista any time soon, if ever. I will play around in vista for a few days no doubt and then plug the xp drives back in. I'll shelve this drive and OS installation for some time this summer when things have matured some. I love this OS but I'm a gamer at heart and this performance won't do.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.40Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

I am finding fsx runs exactly the same as it did in xp-perhaps even a little better but if it is it is slight. I did share the blurry stuff initially-I found if I set all the video driver settings to application managed it took care of the problem completely-exactly the opposite of how I had xp setup. Running the same drivers as you.I also found the agp aperture setting in the bios effects it greatly. I set it first at 1 gig-vista would not even start. At 512 I got the out of memory errors. I set it back down to 256 and haven't had a problem since. I had this set at 512 in xp with no problem.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg

I set a nvidia game profile for fsx with application controlled settings but it made no difference. I also have a pci-e machine so agp aperture does not apply to me. My symptoms are that i can load one saved flight or create a new flight and that entire flight will be fine. If i then attempt to load another saved flight or create a new one, when the flight starts I will fly for a minute or so and then my frame rate drops to 1-2 fps where it is uncontrollable and then it returns to wherever it was before and then all of my textures are blurry and they never come back, or at least haven't come back after 5-10 mins. The only way to get the sim to recover after this is to restart it. I am also still getting CTD's. I am not having much luck with fsx in vista which is a shame because surprisingly ALL of my other games run pretty good, even fs9 which shocked me. On this machine it runs as good as it does in xp, unlike my other machine. Even Quake 4 and ut2k4 run great on this machine and many others were complaining that both games ran very poorly in vista. Looks like fsx will be the linchpin for my continuing use of vista and right now it runs miserably. How to get some support?? Aces please to help me!________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.40Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>also: many eaglesoft products don't work in fsx/vista so do>your research before you buy them if you plan to run this>combo. I found this out tonight when my sr20 crashed fsx when>I selected it in the airplane choice window. They apparently>are not going to support vista any time soon, if ever.After reading this thread perhaps folks will begin to understand why... Why would any vendor attempt to chase a moving target? ;)Here is what folks can do in the meantime to enable any vendor's products that use file I/O to FSX's folder structure to run under Vista:http://www.eaglesoftdg.com/forum/viewtopic...t=1990&start=30 ================================ The folloing steps will disable DEP (Data execution Prevention) on your Vista system. 1. click Start 2. click All Programs 3. click Accessories 4. right click on Command Prompt 5. Click Run as Administrator from the menu 6.run the following in the command window bcdedit.exe /set {current} nx AlwaysOff 7. hit 8 reboot your system and everything should run fine. DISCLAIMER - Perform this at your own risk! I have seen no problems from doing this BUT thats not saying you will have the same results. ==================================

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Yolk

I'm getting the exact same performance in Vista vs XP.Something I don't like in Vista though, posted that in the hardware forum but I don't seem to get any answer there.Has anyone using 2 soundcards in Vista managed to get the ATC through one soundcard and the sound engines through the other ? in XP, there were tabs where one could choose different outputs for voice, recording,... can't find the same in Vista.Hopefully I'm missing something.Thanks,Pierre.

Thanks for the heads-up Bill. I had read that thread yesterday before I called it quits on the sr20 and that post wasn't there. It must have just been posted. There were some rumors that it could be done but eaglesoft was not saying how. It works fine now after disabling DEP. Thanks again.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.40Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>Thanks for the heads-up Bill. I had read that thread>yesterday before I called it quits on the sr20 and that post>wasn't there. It must have just been posted. There were some>rumors that it could be done but eaglesoft was not saying how.>It works fine now after disabling DEP. Thanks again.I'm happy that it works for you. The reason ESDG couldn't provide the answer immediately is because not a single one of us OWNS Vista (yet), so had no way of testing any possible solution(s).

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest JackDanielsDrinker

The 100.64 Nvidia drivers were a big deal for me (with a 7 series card). See here...http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...&topic_id=23895Also, in Vista, you can stop a bunch of services while you run FSX to get more free memory, and to get more CPU cycles. I posted two batch files that turn off the services (run FSX mode) and turn them back on (back to normal mode). This was a few weeks ago.I have since added Superfetch to the services that get shut off. I noticed once that I ran out of memory while using FSX and Vista was still using about 400 megs for its cache. FSX was using about 1.1 gigs. Superfetch caches aggresively, so I'm hoping with it not running, the cache will give up memory more readily. We'll see.The link to the EagleSoft discussion of DEP wants a userid/pw...can you provide another link?