Sign in to follow this  
Guest Adverse Yawn

Discovery Wings

Hi all, Look, remember the Discovery Wings Channel switched to the Military Channel and promised us that regular aviation shows would come on in the evening. Well what ever happened to them? I want to start a petition to get the shows back on the air. I am fourteen years old and know more about airplanes than any one else in my school. This is very depressing:-( :(

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I'm with you--sorry to say there just isn't a market for us. I am 45 years old and know more about airplanes than anyone else in my office, and I am also depressed :)However, even in the absence of Wings remember the web has wonderful resources. You can read anything, from people learning how to fly and their experiences, to people building their own aircraft, to pilot reports on exotic aircraft like the Avanti, the Lancair, and the list is endless. This forum has taught me more than Discovery Wings did--including what to expect as a MSFS jockey in my first lesson in a real aircraft--the emotions, and the mistakes we make after being computer aircraft pilots for so long. -John

I remember when they first made the switch, they did run some aviation shows, but they were the same old ones which had been repeated on the old Wings channel over and over again. There never seemed to be any new programs. Of course that was the problem in the first place. How did they expect people to watch a channel regularly when the same programs were repeated over and over? John has a great point, the web is a great resource. Just start at places like Avweb.com and AOPA.org (even if you are not a member, you can search the free portion of the site). That of course is only the tip of the iceberg. Try a google search on your favorite aircraft!

Well now, 2 popular shows about Southwest and Frontier are currently playing on A&E...lol.Maybe they thought there was more of an audience for them on that channel.I remember when the first aviation specific channel was SpeedVision. A lot of good shows about kitbuilders, military, general aviation were all there. It seems like the content just dried up for some reason. I wonder if 9-11 had anything to do with it.

THNX for the replies guys. I feel real better now and will try to look up info on the web. Adios!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wings became nothing but repeats ad nauseum. Well past its use by date if you ask me. Pity there is no replacement.

Some TLC owned channel used to run that British show about the guy building a kit plane. That was pretty cool. I forget what it was called.

"A Plane is Born". It was an excellent series. The idea first started with the series a "A Car is Born" where the same chap builds a Chevy Cobra. The "A Car is Reborn" where he restores an E-type I think it was. Then "A Race Car is Born" where he builds a Caterham and races it. Then at last "A Plane is Born" in which he builds a mono-wheel Europa. He also did a "A Helicopter is Born" but that was a rubbish series, in part because he didn't want to fly it.http://www.aplaneisborn.com/