Sign in to follow this  
Captain Nuts

New (21-8-18) OXR Developer tools version: Caution

After flying happily the past few days and even trying a few add-ons, I just had a sudden struggle with Flight2020 - completely out of the blue:  VR performance (Reverb G1) was way, way down while CPU was lingering at only 30% in VR, when CTRL+tabbing out of VR it could not initialize VR again (error message).

Troubleshooting this for hours,  I soon noticed that the OpenXR Developer Tools app was updated automatically today (don't ask) and the "System Status" tab in the app complained about an "unknown runtime" version.  I checked the updates in the MS Store again and still, the OXR DT f. WMA was the only updated app, the OXR runtime was not updated.  I finally realized that I should turn off "use latest preview OXR runtime" and indeed, that fixed the issue.  After reversing the test, performance sucked once again, so that old runtime and the new Tools app apparently don't like each other.

TIL - if Asobo doesn't ruin your experience for multiple days, MS will happily jump in for them so  you don't suffer withdrawal symptoms.  Always try to keep MS from updating <word-not-allowed> automatically so you have at least a chance to postpone major PITA events presented to you by MS on top of the unavoidable ones by Asobo. 

Edited by Captain Nuts

1 hour ago, Captain Nuts said:

After flying happily the past few days and even trying a few add-ons, I just had a sudden struggle with Flight2020 - completely out of the blue:  VR performance (Reverb G1) was way, way down while CPU was lingering at only 30% in VR, when CTRL+tabbing out of VR it could not initialize VR again (error message).

Troubleshooting this for hours,  I soon noticed that the OpenXR Developer Tools app was updated automatically today (don't ask) and the "System Status" tab in the app complained about an "unknown runtime" version.  I checked the updates in the MS Store again and still, the OXR DT f. WMA was the only updated app, the OXR runtime was not updated.  I finally realized that I should turn off "use latest preview OXR runtime" and indeed, that fixed the issue.  After reversing the test, performance sucked once again, so that old runtime and the new Tools app apparently don't like each other.

TIL - if Asobo doesn't ruin your experience for multiple days, MS will happily jump in for them so  you don't suffer withdrawal symptoms.  Always try to keep MS from updating <word-not-allowed> automatically so you have at least a chance to postpone major PITA events presented to you by MS on top of the unavoidable ones by Asobo. 

Same experience from yesterday. Thought it was just me, as I haven't seen any mention till now.

Robin

We three seem to be the only ones who've had the update. I had mine a few days back and no one else seemed to get it till now.

Do you see an increase in VR world scale like I do? (about 20%)

I manually updated, as I saw the update on VR FS Guy YT channel. No FPS problems, and who do you notice world scale difference?  Maybe I am blind for it 😉

MS FS 2020 | I9-13900K@5.8 GHZ  | 64 GB DDR5 4800mhz |  ASUS TUF RTX 4090 O24G Gaming   | HP Reverb G2 | Navigraph | VATSIM | TPR Pedals | Virpil collective & stick | Honeycomb | 2023: Real life RPL MLA microlight trainee (Ikarus C42CS)

Just to add to this…..I have not used the sim in almost a month till this weekend.  I jumped in VR and FPS was way worse than it had been last time I flew.  Not smooth at all.  I checked and both my OpenXR developer tool and runtimes had updated.  Yesterday I flew with the “use latest openxr preview” unchecked and FPS was back to what I was used to.  For me at least it seems the latest preview does not work well with my setup…

i7 - 7700k OC to 4.8, 32GB RAM, GTX 1080, HP Reverb G2