Sign in to follow this  
Midnight Music

How to get views on joystick to snap back?

In FS9 when you assigned views to the joystick you could press that view look for awhile and when you released the button on the joystick the view would snap back to the panel. In FSX, the view just stays put and doesn't snap back. You have to press F9 or F10 to get back to the panel. Does anyone know if there's a setting to change to fix this, or is that just the way it is in FSX?Any thoughts will be appreciated.Lee

Lee H

i9 13900KF 32GB Ram 24GB RTX 4090

>In FS9 when you assigned views to the joystick you could>press that view look for awhile and when you released the>button on the joystick the view would snap back to the panel.>In FSX, the view just stays put and doesn't snap back. You>have to press F9 or F10 to get back to the panel. Does anyone>know if there's a setting to change to fix this, or is that>just the way it is in FSX?>>Any thoughts will be appreciated.>>LeeIf you are in the 2D cockpit the return from views should work whether you are using the hatswitch or keyboard.Works just fine for me!Remember that the 'num key' should be off.

Hey McCrash, thanks, but I think more specifically I'm referring to the camera views when assigned to be switched by the joystick. That part works fine, but it's the fact that it doesn't switch back to the main view. I'm thinking maybe they are not meant to.Lee

Lee H

Lee,Every view in FSX is a camera.Essentially every camera, whether defined generically in the cameras.cfg or customized cameras in individual aircraft.cfg have the keypad and tophat movements defined like so:SnapPbhAdjust = OrdinalSnapPbhReturn = TruePanPbhAdjust = SwivelPanPbhReturn = False"Snap" is the key pad; "Pan" is the tophat.Ordinal makes it look at the 8 points - front, right-front, right, right-rear etc.; Swivel makes it PAN -- either of them!snap return "true" makes it return to front when you release, "false" lets it stay where it was.Any combination is valid; you can chose to make the tophat snap back or the keypad to hold. You can make either pan or both go to the 8 fixed points. Any view can be set to any combination; there is no interdependence.Additionally, the pan speed is also set independently in each camera:PitchPanRate=30HeadingPanRate=75values are degrees-per-second and the lines can be added to any camera that does not currently have them - such as the default 2-D cockpit definition in cameras.cfg where numpad and tophat are both set to ordinal; pan speed only matters if you have a way of panning.There is also another related parameter "PanAcceleratorTime" which affects how long it takes the panning camera to get up to the defined speed from a slow initial movement. If omitted or 0, I would expect the camera to move only at the defined speed. A value of 3 would specify that the camera pan would start out slow and build to the desired rate over 3 seconds.Take a look at camera definitions in various default aircraft or cameras.cfg to see what parameters are used in various 'views'. The flexibility that is given by this method is awesome! And the more comprehensive information in the SDK (if you have it) will answer lots more questions -- like defining fixed views.Loyd

Thanks Loyd, that explains a lot. Yes the camera views really open FSX up. I'm just learning the tricks they contain. I will work on all you suggest.Lee

Lee H