Sign in to follow this  
Mart2020

Majestic Q400 - ini file (need admin rights to modify file)

I tried asking Majestic to provide support but all I was told that it is essentially now my problem (they just won't fix it!) to figure out how to get the ownership / modify rights to their '.ini' file that allows their old and not updated control panel to make changes to some of the basic flight controls' configurations (throttle and props detents / tiller operation) and to other items like cold and dark / ready for taxing / ready for take off.  I created a copy of that '.ini' file, at their request, within the 'ini' folder, but the new 'ini.txt' file created won't take the changes made in that control panel, unlike what Majestic is telling me.  My '.ini' file is located within the Program Files folder > Lockheed Martin > Prepar3D v5 > SimObjects > Airplanes > mjc8q400 > doc > ini.  When I right-click on the 'ini' folder itself, under Properties > General, I see the Read-only box checked.  I tried unchecking, applying and saving, but it reverts back to Read-only.  This my PC.  Not sure what to do to resolve this issue, hoping it does help (?) with the control panel.  I also checked the ownership / modify rights to the Program Files folder itself and I see the same issue, where - Under Security - I do not seem to have full control, Write, or Modify rights.. . . and am not able to assign it to myself either under "Administrators (DESKTOP - name of my PC \ Administrators)", or under "Users (DESKTOP-name of my PC \ Users)".  Also, nowhere does Majestic even bother to place a clear and honest disclaimer of this issue on its website for potential new customers.  Shameful.   

If anyone is familiar with these sorts of issues, I would appreciate any suggestion, thanks. 

If you do not have full rights to the Program Files folder, then there is a problem with your windows userid. It is not a Majestic problem.

Edited by willy647

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

1 hour ago, Mart2020 said:

I tried asking Majestic to provide support but all I was told that it is essentially now my problem (they just won't fix it!) to figure out how to get the ownership / modify rights to their '.ini' file that allows their old and not updated control panel to make changes to some of the basic flight controls' configurations (throttle and props detents / tiller operation) and to other items like cold and dark / ready for taxing / ready for take off.  I created a copy of that '.ini' file, at their request, within the 'ini' folder, but the new 'ini.txt' file created won't take the changes made in that control panel, unlike what Majestic is telling me.  My '.ini' file is located within the Program Files folder > Lockheed Martin > Prepar3D v5 > SimObjects > Airplanes > mjc8q400 > doc > ini.  When I right-click on the 'ini' folder itself, under Properties > General, I see the Read-only box checked.  I tried unchecking, applying and saving, but it reverts back to Read-only.  This my PC.  Not sure what to do to resolve this issue, hoping it does help (?) with the control panel.  I also checked the ownership / modify rights to the Program Files folder itself and I see the same issue, where - Under Security - I do not seem to have full control, Write, or Modify rights.. . . and am not able to assign it to myself either under "Administrators (DESKTOP - name of my PC \ Administrators)", or under "Users (DESKTOP-name of my PC \ Users)".  Also, nowhere does Majestic even bother to place a clear and honest disclaimer of this issue on its website for potential new customers.  Shameful.   

If anyone is familiar with these sorts of issues, I would appreciate any suggestion, thanks. 

For Cold dark/ ready for taxi etc try setting your aircraft as you want and saving as a scenario then close P3D and reopen with that saved scenario and you should have the aircraft saved state there. Aerosoft airbus works this way as you set everything up and then saving. As for ownership don't bother as P3D directory is read only and PMDG aircraft set this up for you but do require full admin rights to run their aircraft as its needed giving you an idea on how deep Windows UAC/Account rights go. 

Hope that helps.

Edited by 40track

It's not really shameful that they don't teach people how to manage Windows, there are plenty of courses / books on the subject of Windows and YouTube is a good resource.

Generally the rights issues with the Programs Files paths is why you'd install P3D in a location outside of those paths.

E.g. I have installed P3D to my H: drive as H:\Lockheed Martin

Where the "Authenticated Users" security group has "Modify" rights.

The above said a copy of an ".ini' file named ".ini.txt" is not the same as an .ini file.

I see this sort of thing all the time where people have not enabled show file extensions.

Show file extensions needs to be enabled to see common extensions, else all you see is  [some name] and not the extension which often results in miss-naming.

To edit txt or ini files in areas like Program Files the editing tool needs to be Run As admin. E.g. search for NotePad, then hold the shift key while right clicking, the menu that opens has an option to RunAs Administrator.

The security aspect of Windows is compounded by the fact the first user created on the O/S is a high rights admin account, but only the first user.

Edited by Rogen
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

36 minutes ago, Rogen said:

It's not really shameful that they don't teach people how to manage Windows, there are plenty of courses / books on the subject of Windows and YouTube is a good resource.

Generally the rights issues with the Programs Files paths is why you'd install P3D in a location outside of those paths.

E.g. I have installed P3D to my H: drive as H:\Lockheed Martin

Where the "Authenticated Users" security group has "Modify" rights.

The above said a copy of an ".ini' file named ".ini.txt" is not the same as an .ini file.

I see this sort of thing all the time where people have not enabled show file extensions.

Show file extensions needs to be enabled to see common extensions, else all you see is  [some name] and not the extension which often results in miss-naming.

To edit txt or ini files in areas like Program Files the editing tool needs to be Run As admin. E.g. search for NotePad, then hold the shift key while right clicking, the menu that opens has an option to RunAs Administrator.

The security aspect of Windows is compounded by the fact the first user created on the O/S is a high rights admin account, but only the first user.

Yep backup file and   copy to desktop   delete .txt extension   edit it there   and copy back to the original directory. 

Edited by 40track
Edited for clarity

Firstly, why have you installed P3D in the programmes folder - that will cause problems with other programmes not just the q400. Much better in a separate new folder (and new drive if available).

Secondly do a search for “Win10 cannot change read only” - you will find some interesting and relevant characteristics of Win 10l