Sign in to follow this  
chiastra

ICAO airport

Good afternoon at all

I have a problem (big) : how I change the airport icao ID ? can someone explain me ? I try by afcad,but is not possible.

There is a way,but I do not know.

Thank you

Andrea

Afcad is the tool to use if it's an add-on airfield. If it's a default airfield, or there's also a default airfield with the same ICAO as an add-on, you'll need to be editing the appropriate default file to prevent the original ICAO code from showing.

Without knowing which airfield is causing the problem, it's difficult to help further.

Bear in mind changing the ICAO code of an airfield is likely to have ramifications regarding ai traffic, which will still be looking for the original ICAO

Edited by chris_eve
afterthought

I agree with Chris-Eve completely. Moreover, ATC will also have problems, as will approaches, etc. etc. In other words, the original ICAO code is used from many (hidden) angles within FS9.

Changing a ICAO code is therefore only feasable for addon airports/airfields which do not already exist as default.

What reason do you have for changing the ICAO code in the first place ?

Cheers

Hans

Said this before. Do not use Afcad any more. Use ADE (airport design editor) 

Do not edit the default airport file either.

I have just changed Tbilisi airport myself from ICAO UGGG to UGTB. It was also called Lochini which I have changed to Tbilisi.

First I changed the ICAO name and Airport name of my AF_UGGG afcad and compiled it as AF_UGTB.

The afcad I had for UGGG I saved again as AF_UGGG but erased all info from it apart from the pink dot that is the airport reference point. (this will shut down all the def airport without causing any problems)

Then I went through my Ai traffic files and changed the flight plans from UGGG to UGTB. (didn't take long actually)

Then with editvoicepack I wrote the new airport Tbilisi with new ICAO UGTB.

All is running well and smoothly.

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 6:55 PM, hjwalter said:

I agree with Chris-Eve completely. Moreover, ATC will also have problems, as will approaches, etc. etc. In other words, the original ICAO code is used from many (hidden) angles within FS9.

Changing a ICAO code is therefore only feasable for addon airports/airfields which do not already exist as default.

What reason do you have for changing the ICAO code in the first place ?

Cheers

Hans

I have the same edetroit problem : I downloaded a free scenery,but it is more recent. The default instead 

is old.  I understood that is not a good thing.  I post on this excellent web site because in my country

many forums are dead .Unfortunately is difficult for me explain well : my english language is not good.

The above scenery icao problem afterwall is not often for me.

Thanks for answer.

Andrea

On 9/13/2021 at 7:50 PM, edetroit said:

Do not edit the default airport file either.

It's a fact, that default ADE cannot been modified. Not as original file, but saved as new file with the same or other name and ICAO code. Using the same denominations will only work if the new ADE is larger than the default one. It's a question of priority. 

Bernard