Sign in to follow this  
TuFun

Replacing your Tesla batteries... what it may cost?

"As for Tesla's battery prices... one issue with Tesla is they won't actually just sell a battery. They want a core back PLUS the $22k for the replacement 85 ($25k for a 90, $32k for a 100, and $21.5k for a 60/70/75 last I saw). It's a pretty horrible deal."

Replacement cost of Tesla batteries!

Edited by TuFun

I was reading something about this the other day. People like "Rich Rebuilds" repair the pack for a fraction of the cost. Trouble is it's a short term solution as cell balancing is the issue. That's why Tesla insist on replacing the entire pack including electronic balancing module.

It should be noted that, when you replace the battery of an EV, it's almost like getting a new car, since the engine will likely do several hundreds of thousands miles more, and there are way less mechanical parts in an EV the can break, compared to an ICE.

So I don't find that price particularly shocking and, in fact, the poster wasn't really complaining about the price per-se, more the fact he wanted to keep the old battery for himself to use it in its solar project, while Tesla wanted the old battery back and didn't agree to just selling the new battery to him.

Now, I wouldn't even consider buying *any* car, let alone an EV ( I own a Model 3, BTW ), instead of leasing it.

Since the leasing is surely shorter ( I usually do 4 years ) than the 8 years warranty on the batteries, I'd rather have Tesla dealing with the battery replacement/recycling/reusing-in-solar issue, and have a new car every 4 years, which will likely have more mileage and more features, considering how fast EV technology is advancing.

Edited by virtuali

3 hours ago, TuFun said:

"As for Tesla's battery prices... one issue with Tesla is they won't actually just sell a battery. They want a core back PLUS the $22k for the replacement 85 ($25k for a 90, $32k for a 100, and $21.5k for a 60/70/75 last I saw). It's a pretty horrible deal."

Replacement cost of Tesla batteries!

Porsche and other high end manufacturers do the same with their components.  As I have had to replace a few motors and a transmission they charge for the "core" which is sending back the original in the replacement cost.  Sure, you can keep it but it add ~ $8,000-$10,000 for the cost of the core.  So you can pay 20K for a motor and return the core or pay 28K and keep it.  Same with the transmission.  $19,000 and they take the old one back.  

So as @virtuali said, the costs are sort of inline with what I would expect for replacing a major powertrain component.   

Have a Wonderful Day

-Paul Solk

Boeing777_Banner_BetaTeam.jpg