Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

FSD Saratoga....Anybody have?

>>Actually I was trying to keep the rpm at 3000. That's what>is>>in the air file. But of course it should be 2500. At 2500>rpm>>I can just barely climb at 200 fpm at 89 knots. Is this>about>>right?>>>>Also it's extremely difficult to set the throttle to 2500>rpm;>>it just will not stabilize, requiring constant adjustments>>every couple of minutes or so. Otherwize BEEP!>>>>Waldo,>>Don't try to adjust rpm with the throttle. And as said in a>previous post in this thread: Use Ctrl+F2 to decrease rpm and>Ctrl+F3 to increase rpm.>>Ulf BNow I have another question. If the propeller is constant at 2500 then the only way to increase speed would be to add engine power and propeller PITCH.Is my thinking correct?If so then how change the propeller pitch in FSX?Also, what if AutoFeather?Thanks.

>>Now I have another question. If the propeller is constant at>2500 then the only way to increase speed would be to add>engine power and propeller PITCH.>>Is my thinking correct?>>If so then how change the propeller pitch in FSX?>Decreasing RPM's (the blue prop knob), increases the props pitch.Typically, pulling the knob out (or down if a quadrant) will increase airspeed in cruise when used with proper throttle (manifold pressure) settings. For climbs, the finer pitch (2500 rpm) allows the engine to develop it's rated horsepower, which is RPM dependent.L.Adamson

Guest DreamFleet

Well, Alex, I dare say that there may have been more to that crash than just what might "meet the eye", and let's leave it at that. Ultimately, after a long day at work, a long drive to CDW from Manhattan (that's where I fly from too), a bad ankle (did you know about him having sprained it?), and his magazine, "George" that was in trouble (thus, much on his mind), it's not worth trying to analyze, as we will never know everything about what happened, just the final result.Yes, I too have found that crash hard to believe at times, but...I've only been flying for 32 years, but I do know that crashes such as this can never be replicated in FS, as one does not know all the details and, with no offense to FSD, don't think for one moment that trying to replicate that flight in FS is the same as in the real world.The fact that you completed the flight, as I did (right after it happened, and using FS98) is irrelevant.Accidents are a chain of events, and not all of the links in the chain necessarily have anything to to with the plane.The only way you could begin to attempt to simulate it is to exactly duplicate the circumstances, and that includes things other than just the piloting aspect of it, you would also need to do it in a real Saratoga with your wife and sister-in-law in the back seat, along with the sprained ankle, fatigued state, stress, and whatever else.I mean, take a 747 in FS and go to Los Rodeos on a foggy day, and have one of your friends back taxi with another 747 towards you down the runway. Would you take off without clearance and hit him before he has a chance to turn off? That sounds unbelievable too, but it also happened, and with a very experienced pilot at the controls.That accident had nothing to do with flying skills, avionics or automation. It was a long chain of events, and the chain was never broken.There's often far more to accidents than just the plane and one's ability to fly it. ;)Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

"I've only been flying for 32 years".......Yeah Lou we have heard you say that a few hundred times now.The amount of years a person has been flying means nothing. It is the level of quality in which a person operates the aircraft that means anything.Jim

It's OK Jim, I think Lou has a point, and well-taken here, that most accidents are the culmination of many litle things going wrong. A chain as he says, that for whatever reasons, reasons that we can only second-guess and view in hindsight, do not get broken, I agree. I'm just interested in those aftermath sort-of stories, looking back and trying to understand what went wrong, and why. I'm not trying to reproduce the crash, I'm trying to replicate the flight scenario.I think it helps me become a better pilot, whether that be virtual, or (someday) real-world. I don't want to fan the flames of the past really, but once you try it in Flight Sim, questions remain: was it weather-related? The media focused on that aspect a great deal, and that there was another pilot or two who decided it was a no-go from Caldwell that night. Looking at that weather from the cockpit of the FSD Sarratoga under the conditions that existed that night, which is all I can afford to do at this point in time, and which FlightSimulator allows us to do us as virtual pilots in the comfort and safety of our own homes, we can maybe see what he saw first hand, which is all I was attempting to do. Not particularly impossible weather for such a well-equipped plane as the Sarratoga, to be sure. Which leads me to conclude, as Lou intimates, that there was more to that accident than a well-trained, though not instrument rated I'm told, pilot losing his situational awareness and spinning into the Atlantic. http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest SteveS_FSD

McCrash,I do not know what the source of your apparent confusion is, as I have no way of knowing what data you are referring to when you say "that's what is in the air file." You are wrong to make that statement, for it is not supported by the facts - the "facts" in this case being the data written in the software. For your benefit and for the benefit of readers, let me show you what data is encoded and what you have access to - extracts from the engine parameters in the airfile and the aircraft.cfg file :http://www.fsd-international.com/temp/proj...ngineparams.jpgThe data above is self explanatory. The in-simulator performance matches these engine parameter limitations. The engine will not exceed 2500 rpm and I tend to think the 29.98 you refer to is a barometric pressure reading from another source.This is not our support venue. For any further support, please contact us direct......Regards,http://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gif

Guest DreamFleet

Hey, Jim...You really must cut back a bit on the medication! :-lol;)Alex, you certainly got the point, and the best thing one can do is to read accident reports, and try to learn from them, coupled with the thinking that, yes, it could happen to you.On the bridge of every Celebrity Cruise Lines ship there is a long, wooden sign against the rear bulkhead, impossible to miss, and it is seen only by the officers and those invited up for a visit:"Eternal vigilance is the price of safety" Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest SteveS_FSD

Both FSD, and the creator of FSPS, have previously advised users that by selecting the "disable .dll dependencies" (or whatever the option is called in FSPS nowadays) we understand it will allow the manipulation of the panel layout by users. Perhaps another FSPS user can comment ... ? >But I need to know if FSD will remove their gauge protection Simply put, we can

Hi Louis...I promise to lay off the medication if you promise to lay off the booze before you post...Jimp.s. I also have numerous hours and ratings but I prefer not to brag about them. Accomplished pilots don't need to prove anything.

> Accomplished pilots don't need to prove>anything.Just as soon as I hit 50,000 hrs., I'm going to brag! :-hah

I have 600+ hours under my belt.I have 14 years as an Air Traffic Controller.I have 49years, 335 days as a human being.Why is this discussion happening on a Flight SIMULATOR forum?Real aviation? Sure. Real simulation? (level 3) Sure. FSX? NO WAY!!!My 2 cents.bt

>McCrash,>>I do not know what the source of your apparent confusion is,>as I have no way of knowing what data you are referring to>when you say "that's what is in the air file." You are wrong>to make that statement, for it is not supported by the facts ->the "facts" in this case being the data written in the>software. >>For your benefit and for the benefit of readers, let me show>you what data is encoded and what you have access to ->extracts from the engine parameters in the airfile and the>aircraft.cfg file :>>http://www.fsd-international.com/temp/proj...ngineparams.jpg>>The data above is self explanatory. The in-simulator>performance matches these engine parameter limitations. The>engine will not exceed 2500 rpm and I tend to think the>29.98 you refer to is a barometric pressure reading from>another source.>>This is not our support venue. For any further support,>please contact us direct.>>.....>>Regards,>>http://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gifCheers,Waldo WXP(sp2)|Dx9.0c|AMD FX-62|Gigabyte 7950GX2|OCZ 700W|Foxconn C51XEM2AA|Zalman cooler|2 gig Corsair XMS2 6400|Gigabyte 3D Arura Case|Plextor 716AL|Audigy2|Maxtor 60 & Seagate 250 Sata|Viewsonic 19"|Micron 19"|Thrustmaster Cougar|Elite RuddersI read the air file wrong; 2500 is correct!

Guest SteveS_FSD

> I read the air file wrong; 2500 is correct!Glad to hear this is cleared up OK now. I am still not sure where the '2998' reading you referred to is coming from, but if you are having an odd problem you can't resolve, just contact us direct. .....Regards,http://www.fsd-international.com/team/Steve_signature.gif