Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

FSX SP1 milestone reached - Beta posted today.

Guest allcott

>I fail to see how there is currently anything wrong with FSX,>performance or otherwise, other than a few bugs which is>expected with any piece of software. >>Perhaps you should realize not a single game comes out that>does not get a patch. >>The attitude you carry into this thread amazes me.As I said. My, what short memories some people have. Or to put it another way, you HAVE to be wrong: SP1 is on its way. That is not the Microsoft way.Allcott

>Or to put it another way, you HAVE to be wrong: SP1 is on its>way.EVERY game gets a patch. Thats just the way it is. If you do not have much experience with the game industry I can see why you may not understand that.

Allcott, I believe you will be pleased with SP1. I do understand your cautious outlook, but I'm being twice as optimistic to make up for it.That being said (and this goes to everyone), let's keep the conversation civil.

You evidently feel a strong disdain for this release of FS which is your right, but again you use words like us and we which encompasses all when in reality I would not include myself in your diatribe. What you seem to forget is that each release has problems that either the community has worked around or as was the case for FS9, a patch was released. Also, I don't recollect a statement from Aces stating this would be a perfect release without any problems but if they did, then we should all gather our torches and pitchforks and fly over to Richmond with the hangmans noose.Lastly, I think most on this thread are thanking Phil for the update and expressing happiness that a patch is being released to make FSX hopefully better than before. It may not fix everyone's problems, but at least Aces listened to the community and are trying to rectify the acidic response some have given to this release.We could go on and on and rehash all the bulletin points of contention some have and rehash all the myths and rumour about it's release, but when you cut down to the chase, who cares? It's a hobby, we take the good with the bad and enjoy what we can and I just don't feel a few nice comments to Phil Taylor for updating the community on the status of a patch warrants such a strong negative response. That's my opinion of course and you are free to do as you will obviously but geez, at least let some of us show some respect and appreciation for Aces at least attempting to better our hobby without being ridiculed and belittled whilst doing so.Ian.

And around and around we go. I think Allcott has a point as indeed FSX has some fundamental issues, and if ACES pulls a rabbit out of the hat with this patch then there will be time for cheering. I'll hold off until then, but I am pleased to see them addressing the bugs. Sure they made a couple of poor decisions during the development of FSX and they've admitted as much, but having been in game development for many years, on titles with a fraction of FSX's complexity, I'm also willing to cut them a lot of slack.Lets not forget too that ACES didn't get to decide when it would be released, the microsoft bean counters did, and said beancounters just aren't in touch with the nuances of dealing with such a niche product and its users. I think if ACES had much say in the matter the game would have shipped now, not back in october. 90% of bugs in my experience are more the fault of the marketing departments and publishers unrealistic milestone expectations than the developers themselves. I think the ACES reps in this forum would probably agree with me, but they certainly aren't allowed to say as much. ;)Anyway sure I'd like to see it run better, but I also enjoy it quite a bit as it is. Buggy and slow perhaps, but still a ton of fun.The part I don't get is all this passion and anger. Myself, I see the ability to enjoy a flight simulation as a pure luxury in life so I don't really understand how some can get so upset about it. Lack of clean air and water or food, yeah definitely worth getting truly heated about, but lack of fps in a $50 flight sim?Cheers.

Mike Johnson - Lotus Simulations

Guest Beetle

>$65 is expensive? Keep uttering condescending, declarative>sentences like this and keep pronouncing that you know what's>best for the FSX userbase. You're digging a hole for your>credibility.You are doing the same thing you accused him of doing! You know, maybe in YOUR world $75 (the cost plus tax of FSX) is chump change, but there are some of us who dont have that kind of money to just throw away. And I will tell you I DID try to return it, but alas, once that seal is broken, you're on your own.But the cost of the software is only a fraction of the actual cost- new graphics card, more memory, etc. all of which wound up costing me a pretty penny. All of which were purchased in the hopes of getting a decent framerate while flying into/ out of urban areas. No, I do NOT have the sliders at max- nowhere NEAR max- and trying to fly into Dulles or JFK is impossible to enjoy. Sure, I can get 20 fps flying over the Yukon, but doing that all day is anything but enjoyable.Allcot is correct- FSX was very flawed out of the box, and heaping on the praise because they announced a SP is a little much. You can bet I will be the first one to praise ACES if and when the patch delivers what it should, but the overblown thank yous at this point are about as constructive as the "FSX sucks and so does ACES" posts.I have been a quiet non posting lurker on these boards for some time, but I had to speak up when you attacked Alcott for posting what I thought was a lucid, intelligent statement. It makes me think you hate yourself deep down and your parents did a pretty lousy job.

I will re-iterate something that has been said:"I fail to see anything wrong with FSX"!" I love this sim, and it totally works for me. The fact that ACES is providing us with SP1 is NOT an admission of a failed program. It is a sign of that team listening to the forums, and showing its credibility in support and the willingness to provide continuous improvement in a program that has validity and strength. The most expensive simulators in the world are devoid of eye candy, moving traffic on roads, and realistic water. They are programs worth hundreds of thousands of dollars designed to teach individuals to fly.FSX does all that and attempts to give us an enjoyable, entertaining experience while still being "geographically accurate" and educational like the commercial simulators.AND it does that for $65.00.....and some of you complain and berate the ones who've worked so hard on it. It is my opinion that the complainers are very young "gamers" or individuals with computer issues.Once again....I would have no problem with FSX as it is now. But I thank those who are trying to make it better.

Just because someone has a different point of view from yours does NOT give you the right to call them names.Sigh! Lock the thread!Noel.

11th Gen i9-11900K @ 3.5GHz | nVidia GeForce RTX 3080 | Corsair 64 GB RAM | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | Asus 27" RoG G-Sync

Track IR5 | Thrustmaster Warthog | CH Products Pedals

Guest Len

Well reasoned comments. As the cynic says: we shall see.

Guest Len

>Once again, as you are wont to do, you've lumped all of us>into your negative, hypercritical, and in some ways paranoid>(re: Empire) world. You're welcome to your world, but please>don't speak for me (or in many cases, us).>>FSX hasn't failed me. I just had a Continental pilot with his>jaw on the floor flying in FSX last night. He even noticed>the handle bar in the VC of the 737-800 that he uses to get in>and out of his seat. That was worth the money right there>(not to mention the hours of flying I've enjoyed).>>>FSX is an expensive waste of time in most scenarios at the>moment. >>$65 is expensive? Keep uttering condescending, declarative>sentences like this and keep pronouncing that you know what's>best for the FSX userbase. You're digging a hole for your>credibility.Relax and take a deeeep breath...in, out, in, out.....

Guest n99wb

>Just because someone has a different point of view from yours>does NOT give you the right to call them names.>>Sigh! Lock the thread!>>Noel."Lock the thread"Because 1.5 people have ruined it? Why don't we just delete the FSX forum?Isn't there a more efficient method? If someone pukes on the floor,you don't get rid of the floor. You get rid of the puke.JMO

>>Just because someone has a different point of view from>yours>>does NOT give you the right to call them names.>>>>Sigh! Lock the thread!>>>>Noel.>>"Lock the thread">>Because 1.5 people have ruined it? Why don't we just delete>the FSX forum?>>Isn't there a more efficient method? If someone pukes on the>floor,>you don't get rid of the floor. You get rid of the puke.>>JMOAgreed! Chill with the crybaby lock the thread routines in here. It's getting old. I like reading the posts in here because i think both sides have valid points and I don't need someone to come in here whining to lock the thread because it hurts his delicate sensibilities . Grow up pls, thx.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

...and I have been instructed to terminate users who take threads off topic and turn it into mudslinging back and forth...and it appears this is happening again-on both sides.Thread locked before I have to hit the blip button-I really don't want to have to do that.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpg