Sign in to follow this  
Fielder

Easier takeoffs / landings. Tail draggers.

• Improved auto rudder assistance crosswind cancellation to make it smooth over 0 to 500ft, instead of brutal on/off on takeoff
  • Improved pfactor for tail dragger airplanes
  • Improved free full castering for tail dragger airplanes

(release notes 1.20.6.0 SU6)

==================

In other words easier (and more real to life) takeoffs and landings. My opinion is SU6 has made a world of difference in flyability: wonderful!

Especially for the old high torque WWII fighter speed demons. If you want more speed on General Aviation VFR trips, these little warbirds have maybe 6 times the horse power of popular civilian craft (1600 hp versus 275 hp). If you can live with trimming instead of autopilots for control because they don't fly themselves. Of course in real life their fuel consumption means bankruptcy. 😁

Off topic: Sea planes...

• Improved water rudder and water handling at low speeds. Plane now turns into the wind
  • Fixed occasional wrong triggering of water landing effect
  • Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

7 minutes ago, Fielder said:

In other words easier

So less true to life and more game-like. Because these aircraft IRL are no easy at all.

8 minutes ago, Capt Timeter said:

So less true to life and more game-like. Because these aircraft IRL are no easy at all.

Incorrect! Tailwheel aircraft had exaggerated reaction on P-factor and gyroscopic precession prior SU-6. Now it actually more like in RL

• Like 8

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

22 minutes ago, Capt Timeter said:

How do you know, have you ever flew one?  That's the question for many of us.  The taildraggers are not easier now and an example is the Big Radials P40.  That bird is still a challenge yet not ridiculously so like sliding sideways on dry pavement like before.  All the birds now will still bit you yet they feel more like they should.  A reasonable POH approved crosswind will challenge you but not throw you into the weeds all rudder input be d$%med.  What we have now is moving us more than ever to a realistic feel.  Too much crosswind will have you in the weeds like it should.  Overall it's not easy but it is practical.  This wasn't the case before.

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

24 minutes ago, Dillon said:

How do you know, have you ever flew one? 

I have. Otherwise, how could I judge?

The taildraggers are not easier now and an example is the Big Radials P40.  That bird is still a challenge yet not ridiculously so like sliding sideways on dry pavement like before.

Well, if you put it this way... I don't own the said P40. If it was almost uncontrollable, then it's a different story. I was basing my observation on the default and a couple of freeware aircraft. The default are rubbish in almost every sense, but weren't that bad to me. The freeware stuff was fine. Although I have yet to experience a realistic ground loop in MSFS.

43 minutes ago, Dillon said:

How do you know, have you ever flew one?  That's the question for many of us.  The taildraggers are not easier now and an example is the Big Radials P40.  That bird is still a challenge yet not ridiculously so like sliding sideways on dry pavement like before.  All the birds now will still bit you yet they feel more like they should.  A reasonable POH approved crosswind will challenge you but not throw you into the weeds all rudder input be d$%med.  What we have now is moving us more than ever to a realistic feel.  Too much crosswind will have you in the weeds like it should.  Overall it's not easy but it is practical.  This wasn't the case before.

hey, so you'll keep the Tomahawk after all 😃 but now unfortunately, somehow, its our Nieuport thats become un-takeoff-able..😰

51 minutes ago, Capt Timeter said:

I have. Otherwise, how could I judge?

Well, if you put it this way... I don't own the said P40. If it was almost uncontrollable, then it's a different story. I was basing my observation on the default and a couple of freeware aircraft. The default are rubbish in almost every sense, but weren't that bad to me. The freeware stuff was fine. Although I have yet to experience a realistic ground loop in MSFS.

I have also flown many tail draggers in real life. You are seriously saying that the taildraggers behaved realistically before? No Way... 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jpe828 said:

You are seriously saying that the taildraggers behaved realistically before?

No, they didn't. I'm not saying that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leprechaunlive said:

hey, so you'll keep the Tomahawk after all 😃 but now unfortunately, somehow, its our Nieuport thats become un-takeoff-able..😰

Correct.  I believe you were one of the one's who said wait until SU6 before the developer should make any changes.

FS2020 

1 hour ago, Capt Timeter said:

Although I have yet to experience a realistic ground loop in MSFS.

Get the P40...

Edited by Dillon

FS2020 

51 minutes ago, Capt Timeter said:

No, they didn't. I'm not saying that.

Ok, sorry I thought you were saying it was realistic before and now it is like a game. I have not tried the new tail dragger physics, so cannot comment yet on that part. All I know is before, they were not good. 

Lets called SU6 tail dragger an improvement! You wont get endorsed to fly them, but definitely will learn how to keep tail between main wheels LOL

• Like 1

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

18 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Correct.  I believe you were one of the one's who said wait until SU6 before the developer should make any changes.

something along those lines. We prefered to wait for the long awaited tail dragger fix, to see if that was enough to tame the plane for certain users. aparently, that worked! all that without lifting a finger, awesome 😄

• Upvote 1